Fly Tying

Sapphire NC April 10 - 16

I'm going to be in North Carolina April 10 - 16th. A couple of months ago Shoe and a few other Forumites had indicated that they were going to be around at that time.

Anybody interested in getting together, let me know and we'll work out the details.

Any certain patterns we shouldn't be without?

I'll post our exact location some time this week. I believe it's the KOA East

Just look for a tribe of fools in red GMC's... LOL

user posted image

I'm hearing Quill Gordon dries #18 and #20 and wets #14. I hope one of the local guys will offer to supply all the flies. j_k.gif

Look for me in this:

post-28-1080764755.jpg

Just checked out the weather for our dates down there and the mid 60's sound welcoming. Going to work on tying up some more for the trip next week. I'll pack the bench and materials for the trip. smile.gif

I live just north of Charlotte and hope to hit a stream or two with you folks while you're around.

There is a ton of good water all over the place with some of the choices being; native brookies on light lines in the GSMNP, the hatchery-fest is in full swing and the general opener isn't until June so for C&R trout fishing will be fantastic (16" brookies aren't uncommon then), there are C&R rivers, private waters and GREAT tailwater fishing for natural browns if you have floating devices.

If you have never 'picked-pockets' in boulder strewn pocket waters make it a point to do so while your around. Watch out for yellow jackets that nest in the stream banks (the type that gave Yogi Bear hell in the cartoons; they call their friends, have a good memory and bite more than once!), copperheads and rattlers and black bears. Other than that... it's all good! smile.gif

That sounds like a bunch of unfriendly critters. Us Yanks aren't used to that.

More than likely, I'm stuck to some rivers/streams close by for a little morning fishing. I know Sue will want to do some sight-seeing and possible shopping. bugeyes.gif Sounds like another credit card "meltdown". crying.gif

All kidding aside, what would be our best shot for capitalizing on some trout within a short drive and without doing the Mountain Goat thingy?

Shoe, just post when you know for sure where you're staying and I'll do some homework for you.

There has been some talk about some bugs coming off the water. wink.gif

They do seem quite small. Quills in an 18? Do the trout really take advantage of such small hatches? Around our parts, even the larger 14-16's are ignored at times.

Would I be better off fishing larger nymphs or is the forage so limited that they have to feed on them? Not to sounds so simplistic, but my time is quite limited and I would hate to tie some for nothing.

Leaving tomorrow evening.

Just a question, TB....are any of the local guys thorwing Tellicos yet? We do VERY well with them on all the mountian streams in KY, VA, TN, and NC.....was just wondering if you have used them much?

Wish I could join you fellas, but I can't miss the Easter Mass...my family would saw my branch outta the family tree! Have a great trip! We expect lots of pics!!

We'll miss you Chris, I think you're going to miss out on some good dry fly fishing. Is your family really THAT important? j_k.gif

As to a Disco Midge, I don't know. The stream reports I've read don't mention any. It certainly can't hurt to try.

Ralf, I'm all ready man. We're leaving Friday morning and will be in Sapphire around 4 or 5 pm. A friend of mine was there last week and said the Davidson was fishing really well. Unwrap that 2 wt., you're gonna need it!

Packed and ready on this end wink.gif

I had the chance to tie a few quills. Did a couple of standards, a few reds with CDC and hope to tie some small black wets today.

If all goes according to plan, we should arrive around noon (tomorrow). I guess there's trout in the park. I might have to loose the road dust on some of those.

Got another email from Dave (Irish) and he suggested a few other streams in the area, although the Davidson has been fishing quite well. cool.gif Thanks Dave

Well Shoe, I hope you fared well. It had to be tough 'Wind from the east...' and then rain moving in!

Once I saw Dave Duffy was handling your itinerary I knew you were in good hands, some of the best in fact! He's been here a lot longer than this Yankee! Send him some Fosters, he'll appreciate it!