Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
firebug

Deer hair death

Just started trying a week or so ago from a kit. I have been trying to use the deer hair that was in it. It breaks, it bends, it is generally being a pain. :wallbash: What is the secret?

Is it because the kit proably did not use the best stuff? Old, dry, deer was on the ark? ect. I have some deer hair coming from Ebay maybe that will be better.

kits are horrible for quality. You'll find that when you get better hair you'll do much better. make sure you have good thread too. I broke alot when I first started tying bugs with deer hair.

A very large percentage of deerhair on the market, especially dyed hair, is junk. If you want to learn to work hair get Billy Munns's DVD... Yeah, I know I'm a broken record on this point.. but Billy is a fantastic deerhair man (and wonderful instructor) and his DVD gives a great explianation on selecting hair.

If you cann't go select your hair at shop that caters to deerhair tyers, then just order your hair from Chris Helms... While there are a number of excellent suppliers of quality hair (i.e. I have some great hair strips from Wapsi), you won't have to worry if ya' order from a deer hair specalist like Chris, 'cus you'll always get first class hair. Besides he' a great guy!

Bowfin47

Chris Helm also has a video out there on spinning deer hair. I would pitch the kit hair you got and hit up your local fly shop and spend time playing with a patch of deer hair.

Pesonally i recomend that you don't start tying deer hair yet, start out with flies that you have to learn keep balance, something like an adams. it is a good fly, and if you are able to perfect it, you can tie most dries, then try a clouser, when you perfect it you can tie a ton of other streamer patterns and so on, until you think that you are truly ready for deer hair.

I agree with jz deer hair to start with is like a teacher fresh out of college teaching brain surgery start off like jz said and go in a steady progression including some foam poppers for bass before you hit the deer hair fly tying is more like a marathon then a 20 yard dash so pace yourself and enjoy the addiction don't rush in and overdose :hyst: :hyst: :yahoo: :yahoo:

This to may be of some help

Helped me a lot.

i foudn that belley hair is the best for spinning and stacking. its the coarsest (thickest) and it flairs out the most because of this. make sure youre using the right kind of hair. if its thin, then it will give you nothing but trouble.

here is a goal, when you can tie a muddler minnow, and it looks just like the one in a store, then go on to a turks turantula, then try a very simple deer hair fly, in 1/0 and you will notice that it is alot easier.

There are also some very good books on deer hair, And like others have said DVDs are good to.

Try talking to Bruce Derington ( A member of this forum), He can help you alot! :headbang:

Just a idea, but check with your local taxidermist. We always offcuts of deer and birds that are thrown away. Any taxidermist will be glad to give you his/hers scraps.