Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
seanrus

Places to fish near Sydney Cape Breton

I'm going to visit my sister in law on the long weekend and want to wet a line try to find some trout. She lives in Howie Center near Sydney and we'll be staying there. I'd like to know where to find some trout with in a hours drive from there. I'm not looking for your secret fish hole just some where to start. Oh what flies are goos there that would be helpful too. Thanks

I m nots sure where you are talking about but I would suggest the Bras d'Or Lake, for sea run brownsI have heard they like streames or small lobster patterns, a good local fly is a something like a cray pattern with ashell back of red tape loggers use, I will see If I can find the pattern, Nova Scotia is full of small streams and rivers thast run into the salt. no doubt within walkin distance.

If you have any big gear bring it as you will be close to The Sait Lawerence river and the Cainso Causeway,...You will be on an island that is surrounded by salt water that has just about anything that swims in the norh Atlantic. Even if you stop at the local Wallmart, you could get some inexpensive stip bass gear for about $50.00 (rod and reel outfit) a few squid or herring or mackerel and cath a tide bait fishing. bait fish pattern like smelt, mackerel or herring types might work.

There is also the Margaree and a few other rivers that have runs of Atlantic Salmon and trout. I have never fished them but have heard that the season is good.

like I said Nova Scotia is full of rivers and streams and most of them have native brook trout. Wet flies like montreals, trout finn and queen of the watters and streamers like mickey finn, muddlers with copper tinsel and olive buggers work good. I use big size 2 streamers in bigger rivers and about a size 6 for smaller waters. good luck and I hope this helps