Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
michwolv

Getting lots of hits and no hook ups

The last few weeks I have been getting a lot of browns hitting mice, frogs, and muddler minnows, but they seem to be just slapping at them. Last night, I had the same fish rise six times, but never take the fly. This was definitely a hog too. Any ideas on getting a hook up on these big boys?

my .02cents

Did you try changing the size of the fly or the presentation of the fly your delivering mabybe eventhe speed

or drag on the fly could have some effect on why they not take it....

If they are rising to your fly they are interested but did not like something about the way it was there..

they are finnicky fish that is for sure...good luck Mike :D

i have luck if i wait 1 missippi then strike.... if you are using tiny flies make soft strikes.

What J.Z says is valid. Unlike striking instantly as with mayfly or caddis dries, try waiting using either the 1 Mississippi count or until you determine that you can't see the fly through the raise ripple rings, then strike, or simple lift the rod smoothly but quickly.

Another potential issue with frog, mouse, or other deer hair bugs or foam or deer hair poppers etc. is some people tie the hook gap full of material, making the hook's intended hooking ability much less than designed.

Shave the bottom of the pattern off and try that, as well as waiting and see what happens.

The key I think to waiting with these flies versus not waiting with insect emulating flies is the fish is expecting a mouthful of substance with the mouse or frog, therefore they hang on longer and must position the meal to down it later. But with insect emulating flies that is not so, and in general the fish expects to get that fly nearly down their gullet in one gulp if the fish is sizable. I also think perhaps this is why it seems to be easier to hook smaller fish. They don't expect to down even a small insect without repositioning the meal, so they hold the fly longer as well.

Since you said Mice and muddlers (i.e-larger flies) then this could very well apply to what's happening to you.

Alot of times browns will make a mock charge at a larger fly. They see it as an intruder and even though they are not interested in eating it, they will sometimes make a charge and slash at it simply to scare it out of it's "zone". Happens alot to me when fishing big streamers. Could be whats happening to you.

Steve

I've seen Steve in action fishing his streamers. I think he hit it right on the head. The big browns usually try to drive an intruder out of their territory. Best thing to do would be to just keep banging at them and maybe eventually you'll upset him enough to make him strike.

Mike

Take a friend who will have a bird's eye view of the water you are fishing, most likely from a nearby tree. Give him a .17HRM rifle with a good scope. Have him shoot the trout when he comes up to your fly. Walk down stream and pick up the dead trout (don't just cast out and snag the floating dead fish because snagging is not ethical) and put the hook in his mouth and reel him in. Problem solved. :yahoo:

Otherwise, try some of the other folks' suggestions as they may work too.

Slate Drake

Take a friend who will have a bird's eye view of the water you are fishing, most likely from a nearby tree. Give him a .17HRM rifle with a good scope. Have him shoot the trout when he comes up to your fly. Walk down stream and pick up the dead trout (don't just cast out and snag the floating dead fish because snagging is not ethical) and put the hook in his mouth and reel him in. Problem solved. :yahoo:

Slate Drake

use nightcrawlers.

:hyst: Thanks!!! :hyst:

Slate Drake

I tried this and got shot in the foot.

I think that they are either pushing it out or trying to wound it. I wound up foul hooking an eighteen inch brown right under its fin. The fight it gave had me thinking it was over twenty. I released him and he seemed to be alright.

I have had the problem of the hook not sticking out enough before. Mostly because I wasn't using the right hooks. I also had this problem when I used zonkers strips for legs on big bass frogs. They would get wrapped around the hook.

Thanks for all of the input.

Since you said Mice and muddlers (i.e-larger flies) then this could very well apply to what's happening to you.

Alot of times browns will make a mock charge at a larger fly. They see it as an intruder and even though they are not interested in eating it, they will sometimes make a charge and slash at it simply to scare it out of it's "zone". Happens alot to me when fishing big streamers. Could be whats happening to you.

Steve

Ditto. If I had a dollar for every trout that's merely slapped at my streamer or lure (complete with 2 treble hooks), I'd be able to afford a brand new top-of-the-line Sage rod.

It's frustrating as hell, but that just comes with the turf. Unfortunately, that's the best way to consistently catch monster Trout (realizing there are exceptions to every rule). With trout, it seems like no matter what you do you'll either catch them or you won't. My hookup rate is no better with jerkbaits (2 treble hooks) than it is with streamers, so I'd wager that a Stinger hook won't help you out either.