Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jcv

I tied my 1st fly!

Tonight I went to my friend's fly shop and bought all my tools, a kit to tie 16 hares ear nymphs and the materials to tie a bunch of wooly buggers. I didn't buy my vise yet - he won't have the one I want until next week - but I have a loaner.

My friend sat me down and taught me how to lay thread on the hook, tie a half-hitch and use the whip finishing tool. We then both tied a wooly bugger. It came out pretty good! (besides the hot pink thread he had me using LOL).

Tonight, when the kids go to bed, hopefully I'll remember how to tie the wooly bugger so I can practice.

I think I'm really going to enjoy this!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, another one bites the dust.

:hyst:

Good stuff. You are really going to enjoy this hobby. Wait till you catch your first fish on a fly you tie. It's all over then pal.

Well, I'll start the funeral service plans, because you're basically dead! there's no turning back. Your family will never see you again and your money will all be spent at the fly shop and CRAFT STORE!!!

now remember, even if you fish this first wooley bugger, once it catches a fish that fly has to be saved. i wish i had my first fly still.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, another one bites the dust.

:hyst:

Good stuff. You are really going to enjoy this hobby. Wait till you catch your first fish on a fly you tie. It's all over then pal.

Hobby? Hobby? Yea I smoke crack as a hobby....I tie cause Im hopelessly addicted!!!

Welcome to the madness!!!!! B)

and thus started his life of endless trips to the fly shop, and ebay and where ever else he could spend his money on flytying,welcome welcome welcome, by the way we would love to see some picturesssssssssssss, so don't forget the digital camera. Best regards Paul

Thanks guys. Yeah, I can see myself getting addicted :devil:

I tried to tie some more wooly buggers tonight... it did not go well. The marabou I have is a lot more "fluffy" than what we used today and I'm having a hard time getting it to lay down by wrapping the thread over it (this particular recipe requires having the maribou be the length of the hook shank and covered in thread). Also, we're using 4 strands of peacock hurl instead of chenile and it needs to be tied in near the eye of the hook, wrapped back to the bend and then back to the eye. Well.... I just can't seem to do it! I wish the peacock hurl was longer!

So... I just decided to give it a rest. I'll talk to my buddy tomorrow and see what he says. I'm certainly open to suggestions from you folks though!

I'm not discouraged though.... this is just the beginning :headbang:

take your marabou plume and measure it shank length. From the tip back. find that point on the stem and strip all the fluff of from there back to the base of the feather. dont need it throw it away. i usually tear out the tip of a marabou plume as well. Hold the tip and stroke the feather rearward. it will expose the tiny thin stemmed tip and can be plucked out easily.

a big pat of fly tying and usually the most time consuming is material preperation. what i just tried to explain is how I prepare a marabou plume for a tail. Once its like that I will wet the plume, dip in a galss of water, and stroke the feather from base to tip. dont want to lick marabou as some of the die will come out in your mouth. You should have a narrow wet plume with the base of the stem free of any feathers or fluff. probally a good inch or more. now measure the plume again with the wet tip of the feather reaching to just above the barb. thats how long you want your tail, shank length. the feather should tie in nice now.

Here is something you might want to try with the herl for the body. tie in 4 strands of herl at the tail tie in point and leave them there. then tie in 4 more at the eye. wrap the 4 strands of herl back to tail and then spiral wrap your tread back to tail over them and tie them off with a few wraps of thread. spiral wrap your thread back to eye and then wrap the 4 strands of herl you left at the tail tie in point forward. 2 layers of herl for the body. Hope this helps

Joe, thank you very much. Your advice should be very helpful! I'll try those techniques and report back.

Thanks again

Jay

Don't be intimidated by all those remarks about getting addicted, not seeing your family, spending lots of money, and so on. It ain't true. Trust me on this. I lead a normal, happy life - similar to most tiers out there. Welcome to the "hobby". :D

Gotta go - have to meet my dealer in the alley behind Cabela's for another nickel bag of deer hair. As soon as I get home (the abandoned car next to the dumpster behind the Orvis shop) I've got to hide the stuff from my wife (Terrie, Jerrie, or something like that) and my 3 (or is it 4) kids.

Don't be intimidated by all those remarks about getting addicted, not seeing your family, spending lots of money, and so on. It ain't true. Trust me on this. I lead a normal, happy life - similar to most tiers out there. Welcome to the "hobby". :D

Gotta go - have to meet my dealer in the alley behind Cabela's for another nickel bag of deer hair. As soon as I get home (the abandoned car next to the dumpster behind the Orvis shop) I've got to hide the stuff from my wife (Terrie, Jerrie, or something like that) and my 3 (or is it 4) kids.

By the way Chase I know a guy who knows a guy who "borrowed" a semi on I90 last week full of polar bear hides!!!! Do you know "anyone" who wants any..... :pimp:

JCV I did a "how to" on the Bugger for hatches you can find it here as well as a lot of other fly tutorials.

tutorials @ ftf

By the way Chase I know a guy who knows a guy who "borrowed" a semi on I90 last week full of polar bear hides!!!! pimp:

Yup, and I'm sure a couple of pallets just "fell off the truck" too.

now remember, even if you fish this first wooley bugger, once it catches a fish that fly has to be saved. i wish i had my first fly still.

I have my first bugger that I caught a fish on in my hat. Looks all ragged but it's there for posterity. I also have a stimulator I tied from my best day fly fishing ever on my hat. I caught about 18 browns in less than 15 minutes on the Eagle River. It was unbelievable. 14 of them were out of the same hole.

Well, I've gotten a lot better at tying the wooly bugger. I'm doing it the original way my friend instructed me but I've found that if I really take my time and pay attention, the finished product is pretty decent. I know that seems obvious (to take my time and really focus) but I just think that I wasn't being anal enough about how I did things.

When I get a chance to take some photos I'll post a shot of my 1st bugger - which is half decent because my friend was coaching me - then my 2nd (which is kinda bad) then my best so far... I've probably only tied 7 or 8 so far.

That very 1st fly will be saved though - once it (hopefully) catches a fish! It's an oddball too because Tom had me using some hot pink thread when he was teaching me so it has a loud head LOL.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. This is a fantastic forum! I live on web forums... I've found over the years that a good forum will teach you more about your interests than many books or classes combined and this place is among the best I've found.