Fly Tying
Graham

Helpful and interesting links

I was recently scrounging around for something to read (all my books are currently in storage) and I came across an old New Yorker magazine (3/5/07) that I hadn't read for some reason - it contained an interesting article about venomous spiders and spider hunting in L.A., and my first thought was about our resident spider wrangler. (Graham) I don't know if this link will work, since both my laptops recently crashed and I can't download it on the 8-year-old iMac I'm using, but you can probably find the article in the New Yorker archives. I think the article was titled "Spider Woman."

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/03...5fa_fact_bilger

I like it too Ernie, but I'd like it better if he leveled some of his horizons just a tad. Or maybe my house is sliding into a sinkhole - I'd better go out and check. Still, the firemaple shot is a beauty.

I agree about the hoizons Peter but then that could be just artistic interpretation too. Maybe better check that chair of your's to make sure it's on the level. :lol: Every so often I'll check camera level with a small line level placed across the hotshoe mount on the camera body. My tri-pod head doesn't have a level even though the tri-pod does.

That fire maple shot was a real good one. I like how he got the movement of the tree yet still retained some sharpness, same with some of the kayaking shots. You can almost feel the power of the water.

Ernie

I stayed up for hours last night practicing some of the cool Photoshop tutorials on the site linked to below. I have a Wacom tablet and pens, but you don't need these to do the tutorials, you can use a mouse instead.

http://www.wacom.com/tips/photoshop.cfm

I so rarely use my tablet, but that is about to change, now that I've finally found some good info on how to use it.

Graham

Yeah, Ashby - I'd love to have that one hanging on my wall. I think he said he stitched eight images together to make it. I'll have to check to see if he sells prints.

Murad Sayen is a multi-talented artist who lives in South Paris, Maine, just up the road from where we lived for a number of years. He is a highly skilled painter and until recently, was a maker of some pretty amazing "art knives." But what really caught my eye was the series of photographs he did featuring colorful graffitti that he'd found on freight cars. (Steel Wheels series) It kind of reminded me of some of the ice photography I've done the last couple of winters. My wife interview him a few years ago, but I'd never seen his work until recently. Hope you enjoy the site.

http://www.shadowchasers.com/

Can I toot my own horn?

This is, My Webpage

I haven't shot any fishing stuff, yet, but you cand be assured I will be.

I shoot film, with two different cameras, a Holga (which is often thought of as a "toy camera".

It shoots 120 film.

You can see examples of them on the first page of my site.

I also shoot with a 35mm range finder.

Thanks for checking out my site.

Brian

:cheers:

Nice work Brian. The Public Library staircase is my favorite - the geometry reminds me of Andre Kertesz. One thing about Holgas - you can buy 'em by the bushel, and if you drop one off a building, you just pull out another one and keep shooting. A good reminder that it's the photographer that makes the picture, not the camera. It's also great to see another street shooter here - it's always been my favorite genre, and I miss being out there.

Nice work Brian. The Public Library staircase is my favorite - the geometry reminds me of Andre Kertesz. One thing about Holgas - you can buy 'em by the bushel, and if you drop one off a building, you just pull out another one and keep shooting. A good reminder that it's the photographer that makes the picture, not the camera. It's also great to see another street shooter here - it's always been my favorite genre, and I miss being out there.

Thanks Peter!

I own six Holgas currently, but the three on my site are my main ones.

I have only had the range finder for a little more than a year now, it's a great camera.

Before that I shot with an SLR, and have been shooting with Holgas for about 14 years now.

I can't wait to take them all out for some fishing photography!

Brian