Fly Tying

Creating Website question

I am thinking about creating a website to post some of my photos on. I have been looking around and it seems like all the servers out there are all charging a monthly fee. So I am thinking to do this I am going to have to pay to register a domain name (1st a year or two) and then pay a monthly fee for webhosting. Am I correct in this? Is there anyway of getting around the monthly webhosting fee without building a server here in my house?

Thanks

Jim

Yahoo offers a free webhostig program. But in order to get a domain name, you have to register and pay a monthly fee, there is no way around paying the registration or monthly fee that I know of. In order to have your computer to work as a server, it has to have a proper program for it. Most home computers cannot work as a server because of the processing resources needed. If you want to have a domain name, you would be better off going through yahoo or some other such service. If you want to have a webpage that you design yourself, and not have a domain name, then you can't beat yahoo. With yahoo you end up having a name something like www.my.yahoo.com/~someplace. With someplace being your user name.

Hope this helps.

Randy

I recall seeing a few websites that had been setup using free hosting sites, but they were full of ads, popups, etc.

Check out Godaddy.com for cheap hosting and domain name registration. Monthly hosting is around $3.50/mo which includes a ridiculous amount of web space and bandwidth. I'm pretty sure they even has some free web hosting options w/ domain name registration purchase (again, with ads I'm sure).

First to answer your question, yes you will need to pay to register a domain name, I believe Godaddy.com is about the cheapest, 6-8 dollars per year depending if you find and use a discount coupon. the next step is to purchase hosting, again the choices are huge, for me I again would just go with Godaddy, think its $3.95 per month for the least expensive package, which unless your site is very big, and very popular would be good to start out. And yes godaddy does have free hosting with domain name purchase but again it has limits and forced advertising.

No I'm not affiliated with godaddy in any regard, I've just used there services without any problems...

As for free options...

There are quite a few choices, personally I don't care for any of the free services... Many problems can occur and it can be as bad as losing your entire web site. Many have great luck with free hosts, just not the best choice in my opnion.

An "OK" choice for free hosting, most any internet provider usually supplies every user with a small amount of limited use space for personal websites. the drawbacks are, usually less than 100 megabytes of space, limited bandwidth usage, no scripting languages (PHP, ASP, Perl, Etc.) and no database. However this may just be a good choice for a person to get there feet wet in a personal website.

Weblogs (Blogs) are indeed another free choice one of the nicer is http://wordpress.com/ , most free sites have nasty popups, forced ads, etc, i'm pretty sure the Wordpress site is free of any forced ads, has a great software package, and allows yoursite.wordpress.com .

Godaddy also provides a free forwarding service for your domain, so any of the above choices could be linked to your own personal domain name. so basically no matter what you can have any of the above accessible by someone entering www.yourname.com/org/or whatever.

If you decide to start your own site, and need help including installing your own forum software, Blog, CMS etc... Database work whatever feel free to pm me i'd be happy to help, no cost of course...

The offer would go for any member here..

http://members.freewebs.com/ it's totally free, no fee's and has loads of options. I've used it for two years now for my rod web site http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/ I've never had a problem with it and havent even come close to useing up all the free space for pics yet. Only thing I had to do was buy my domain name for about $8 and renew it yearly. By far the best free web site I have come across.

Steve

There is no way around paying for a domain name. About 6-8 dollars per year is the cheapest.

For free web hosting, you could always host the site yourself though. I have done this for fun a number of times and my wife hosts a website herself as well. You can surprisingly host a website on just about any old computer.

You don't need tons of computer knowledge to do it either but you do need a tinkerers personality.

This could help you get started.

http://www.dslwebserver.com/

Check out my wifes website for some inspiration. This site is hosted on an old pentium 2 with 64mb of ram and a 20gb hard drive running linux.

www.lunar.net

Not for everyone but it's the only way you can host a site for free with no ads and full control of everything.