Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RoyalWulff

Classic style "Garry" Atlantic fly

This is a size 1 garry hairwing that i tied up last week. I plan to toss this at some salmon in the next week or so but I am posting it because i changed the pattern slightly. It calls for yellow and red/orange hair for the wing. But I didnt have any yellow hair so I tied in two hackles on the outside of the red hair. I thought it was a neat idea and looks cool.

The fly has some obvious flaws but its tied to be a fishing fly, hence the easier false hackling of the throat, and the lack of veiling to cover the portion of body that has no ribbing close to where the wing was tied in. But I liked this pattern and hope the fish do too.

what do you think?

-Phil

post-10056-1189088228_thumb.jpg

Phil: I would start the tip and tag portions on the straight part of the shank as it should have a better chance of not being destroyed by a salmon..........Frank

The Garry was first tied by the late John Wright, son of James Wright who invented the Durham Ranger. The yellow hair in the wing of the "Garry" (or "Garry Dog" as it is often known) was origionally a blonde, taken from the tail of a Golden Retriever. I've got a few in my box, can't say they've ever gotten wet, but they're still there. Your rendition is an interesting one, should be worth a few chucks. Also, nice body work! It's a very clean tie.

Stu

Very, very nice......i'da gone ahead and made that sixth turn of ribbing or spaced the five wider.......no biggie......it's a fishin' fly. mark