Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymaster

TMC 102Y

I just bought i new style of hook. it is a wide gapped short dry fly hook. another good thing about it is that it has a black finish. when you tie a dark fly the hook point seems to disappear. should be awsome on the water. i seen them a while back and wished since i had got them but finally ordered them at a hometown shop. this is the tiemco hook that comes in uneven sizes like 11, 13, 15 etc. i bought the 19s for mayflies and sulfers coming up soon. i hope i like them i bought 100 so i better. love any feed back on the hook or good patterns for it.

thanks

I have not tried the 102's but they are just like the 100's only in odd sizes. I do like the 100"s and they are very sharp. I also aquired some of the 100 series with an open eye. Not sure of the number but it's just like the 100's but lets one slip the tippett on to the hook rather than threading it into the eye. It works great on the stream as I have gotten to that age where it really helps with the smaller flies. However, they are a pain for me when tying as the thread is always slipping between the gap in the eye cause I can't see it on the bench either.

The Don

I love the 102Y. I probably first read about it in the Blue Ribbon Flies Catalogue from West Yellowstone. (Great source of patterns and materials BTW, and they have a web site) Harrison Steeves uses this hook for some of his terrestrial patterns. I use it for beetles and ants, as well as CDC and Elk Caddis (Hans Weillenman pattern) and for baetis dries and emergers (size 21). It's sharp, it's strong, and the patterns look good. smile.gif