Fly Tying
Mokai

Timed Exposures....

I think these shots are some of the most creative and challenging to capture, great images guys!

Hey Will, thats pretty funny you mentioning knowing the star trails scene, that comment sure brought back some memories..lol.. Up in the Sierra, head out of the tent just in case, and seeing the stars spinning in real time.

So what's the trick to doing timed exposures? I recently got a Canon S5 IS and I'm still learning all of it's features but I couldn't find anything in my "manual" about timed exposures. Is there a universal feature in digital cameras that I should be looking for? Any help for this nooby would be great. I'm really interested in doing some timed exposures on moving water. Thanks.

Jason,

You've got a pretty nifty camera there that is very capable of doing timed exposures. The "trick" to doing timed exposures is the ability to "slow down" the light getting into your camera lens if you're doing timed exposures in daylight.

Try this with your Canon.

1) Set your ISO to 80.

2) Set your aperture priority to f.22 or close your aperture down as much as possible.

3) Put on a polorizing filter or a neutral density filter. (Hopefully you can put a screw on filter on your lens.)

4) Grab a tri-pod!

5) Find some moving or falling water and have at it.

Make sure you use a remote shutter release or use your self-timer to release the shutter as vibration or movement from pressing the shutter release will cause blurring.

Pretty simple trick, isn't it?

I posted some shots below to show you what can be done with a polorizing filter and low ISO setting.

Hope this helps.

Ernie

These shots were taken last year with ISO 50 slide film and polorizing filter. First slide photo was shade and aperture setting of f.16. Sun was shining directly at subject in second slide photo and aperture was set at f.22.

post-3353-1195654052_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1195654295_thumb.jpg

ISO 100 print film, f.22, no polorizing filter, sun behind cloud. You can see what a difference light and a filter can make to a picture.

post-3353-1195655149_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1195655297_thumb.jpg

Hey KVRNut!

How are you?

I followed your advice and joined this site...

Nice shots. I know that location... Here is another version, very similar to yours...

Shot using Velvia on an overcast day.

IPB Image

Tangler

Thanks KVRNut. Hopefully this image is larger...

By the way, I don't think they are the same. Mine was Lynn creek...

This is Hills Creek right where it enters the Willamette Rive a few minutes from my home here in Oregon..Taken over the Summer...

IPB Image

Glad to have you join us Tangler!! Welcome aboard!! Doing just fine but busy as all blazes both at work and home.

I see the thumbnail pic is Crazy Creek all right. Like the effect of the cloudy day. Any chance of resizing the picture a tad? :D

That is a real pretty shot Andrew. That looks like a relaxing spot.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie.

I have edited my original post...

The posted picture looks a little fuzzy. I'm not sure why, it looks OK on my website...

Nice shot Andrew!

T.

Thanks guys..

Welcome Tangler..Nice shot..I would like to check out your site if you dont mind..Maybe you could throw up a link..

I stand corrected Tangler. Lynn Creek ain't no Crazy Creek! The thumbnail sure looked like Crazy though. Guess I'd better reach for my glasses next time... :D

That is a pretty pic Tangler. Love that Velvia.

Ernie

Thanks Graham..Not only is it a beautiful spot but it is one of my favorite Steelheading holes..There is a big rock shelf just out of the frame that gives them shelter..

68mm 1/8 second f38

IPB Image

80mm 1/15 second f38

IPB Image

Next time I will have to use my polarizer filter so I can keep the shutter open longer.

Jim

Was out with Stu in early November and took these pics when we made our way out to a bar in the middle of Mission Creek. It was getting pretty dark at the time and I had to use the built in light on the camera to do the camera settings. Didn't use the flash so that made for a very long exposure of over a minute using ISO 160 Kodak Portra film at f.22.

Ernie

post-3353-1199791900_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1199791920_thumb.jpg