Fly Tying
dafack01

I need a good small stream trout rod. Recommend me some!

I stopped by a local Des Moines fly shop and was told about the Spring Creek trout fishing in Northeastern Iowa. Apparently short and light fly rods are the way to go (7' or 7'6" 3 or 4 weights). Currently my lightest fly rod is my 9' 6wt, which should be the cat's meow for the Smallmouth and Walleye streams up here but would probably be overdoing it for the small Spring Creeks.

What are some good small stream rods? Around $300 give or take $50 is my breaking point (preferably cheaper). Any reason to go for a 3 weight or a 4 weight? I'm thinking 4 weight to make my arsenal an even 4-6-8 weight. The Orvis TLS is one I saw in an Orvis catalog at the shop that looks promising. Part of me though wants to steer clear of Orvis so I can still say I'm not an "Orvis Whore". :lol:

Take a look at Temple Fork rods. There's several rods in the weights that you're talking about and they're well below the $ you're talking about which means more money left over for other gear. :devil2: :devil2: You might try Steeldrifter or one of the other guys in the rodbuilding forum, too.

Mike

Dont usually reply to guys suggesting my own rods (seems kinda shifty for me to do that IMO :lol: ) but I'm making an exception this time because I do have an extremely nice 7'6" 3wt CTS Affinty plus blank I was about to build and sell on the sites next week. And CTS makes some of the nicest rods out there so I sent ya a PM with some info on it in case that sounds like something your after.

Steve

I just recently got a 2 pc 5'6" 3wt from Cabela's for $100. Used it a few times and really like it. Suits my small stream (the kind you can spit over) needs very well.

defack01,

Whether you go 3wt or 4wt, you'll have more fun than you will with a 6wt on a spring creek. 4wts seem to be more popular overall, and it's common to have 4-6-8wt outfits. I'm odd in more ways than one...I've gone the 3-5-7 route with some 2s and 8s thrown in.

Steeldrifter might have a good setup for you there.

As for Orvis, you're gonna need much more than a couple of their products to obtain "Whorvis" status...you'll want waders with matching vest, numerous gadgets, an anniversary fly box, and at least two pair of mountain khakis. :lol: They introduced their original graphites over 30 yrs ago and kept their more desirable "Superfines" in their product line until this year. Those rods were good and became real favorites for lots of guys fishing spring creeks and small streams. I have a couple new (unfished) 4wt Superfines that I should find new homes for. They're terrific rods, but I have decided to not venture into the 4wt area; with 3wts and 5wts, I'm pretty well covered. You can PM me if you're interested in either rod...or if you have any questions on them.

Me and my son have severl rods that came from Midwest rods(steeldrifter)

they all r great I would go with him in a heartbeat

you will b very pleased with his workmenship

FC

I'd second any rod built by steeldrifter! My boy loves his (and put it to good use earlier today).

I fish the driftless area spring cricks and you'd only want that 6 wt. if you were hunting big 'uns with big streamers. The 9 foot length won't do you any favors, either.

I have a 6'9" 3 wt. (originally built for gills) that I use almost exclusively on the spring cricks and I like it a ton. I do plan to build myself a short 4 wt. this summer because sometimes I want a little more beef to throw smallish buggers and crayfish patterns.

The other advice I have for you on the driftless spring creeks is this: scuds. Tie them in a size 12 in shades of cream and orange. The creeks are filled with them. When in doubt, they're the way to go.

I'd second any rod built by steeldrifter! My boy loves his (and put it to good use earlier today).

I fish the driftless area spring cricks and you'd only want that 6 wt. if you were hunting big 'uns with big streamers. The 9 foot length won't do you any favors, either.

I have a 6'9" 3 wt. (originally built for gills) that I use almost exclusively on the spring cricks and I like it a ton. I do plan to build myself a short 4 wt. this summer because sometimes I want a little more beef to throw smallish buggers and crayfish patterns.

The other advice I have for you on the driftless spring creeks is this: scuds. Tie them in a size 12 in shades of cream and orange. The creeks are filled with them. When in doubt, they're the way to go.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm gonna be hitting up Steeldrifter for a 7' 4wt here in a couple months. That and I'm gonna hafta learn how to tie some scud patterns.

Actually I might hit him up when he gets back from the Salmon outing. I'd like to try to catch some Brookies up here this fall while they're all dressed up for their annual orgy.

I have Cabelas Three Forks 7.6 3wt. It is a great rod for the money. The rod costs about 45.00, if you don't like it you can always send it back to Cabelas. My rod is still going strong after 3 years of HEAVY use.

I use a Sage 383 SLT, and while they are very pricey, take a look around, because the SLT series of the Sage rods are being discontinued this year and being replaced by an updated rod. You may be able to get a steal on one. And let me tell you, this may be the best rod I have ever cast.

The replacements for the SLT were at our local shop with the rep last week, and they are great rods too, but if you can get a SLT at a discount due to the model lineup change, go for it. Cannot beat the lifetime guarantee, even if your car door 'eats' it.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and be sure to cast before you buy.