Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
willowhead

Black Avacado

post-392-1190079951_thumb.jpgThis a simple fly i tyed bout 2/3 years ago.......was just practicing wet winging.......in this case some kinna dyed turkey. I buy these cheap pairs when i find them, for fishing flies. The hackle is from a bird which was a cross of a blue and a white (eared Peasents)........BEAUTIFUL skin.......HUGE. Figgered the dark colors would work in stained water.......who knows........i've never fished it, lol. mark..... :P

That hackle should swim nicely, especially in soft currents. I could see those colors working well in clear water...or even late season conditions. Think you need to get that one wet. :D

Forgot to ask...how did you come up with the name for it?

Body is black.....wing is a sort of Avacado green.....thas all, lol. Would love to fish it.....maybe one day i will..... mark

Tkx. Red......btw, that subtitle.......First post on this page.......is obviously meant to mean first (fly pic) post on this page.......the S./S. page. Lol........i've learned an awful lot from you guys. Here's hoping that many of you will be able to join in (and tye) at the biggest Steelhead/Salmon fly tying show in history, sometime in '09. Royce has suggested '08, but i'm just to busy (like a one legged man in a ass kickin' contest) to make it happen that soon. Read the "Extravaganza" post. mark

Man, I love the profile on this fly, Mark. I'd love to see this fly tied up in shades of red and orange. Somehow the shape of the fly reminds me of reentry of a space capsule. Very cool design. :headbang: