Fly Tying
oatka

Did the stars just align?

Ok, so my wife took off to go to her Mary Kay meeting. Nothing special so far, right. Well, she gets there late, as usual, and outside near a dry cleaner is my buddy from college. He was with me the night I met my wife. I haven't seen him in a year or 2 or more. Well, he goes on to say that he is firing a guy very soon and will have a position open for me to apply for. he said he could almost guarantee me the spot. now, let me tell you how freaking awesome this would be. currently i work under contract (contract is short for SUCKER) for Kodak. it pays the bills but leaves very little room for fun. If i got the job he's got, i would make $65K per year. currently, i make about $32,760 (not including overtime). yeah, did you just see what I saw? i would be making DOUBLE!!!!

ok, let's put this into a bit more perspective. I would work 9-5, be home to put at least 1 kid on the bus, and home for dinner (currently i work from 4am until either 4pm, 10a, or 9am, depending on the day.) i like my current hours, honestly, but wouldn't mind 9-5 either.

ok, need more reason why this could be an awesome opportunity? i would be working for Blue Cross. yeah, the insurance company. i would have 100% full benefits!!! that's huge! 4 weeks vacation from day 1. i haven't had a day of vacation for almost 2 years (i know some of you haven't had one in longer, but hey, i started the post so it's all about me baby! B) )

now, let's put a little bit more coolness to this whole thing. in the next month and a half, i will get to fish and tie with one of the great tiers from this forum (name withheld to protect the innocent), he will also let me fish with his Carlin bamboo rod, and if he can convince Bud Guidry to come up to NY, i could probably tie with him too! what do you say Bud? up for a trip at the beginning of November. I hear there's a room available near a great creek thats got your name on it!

Ok, so, send me all the good vibes you can! after just shelling out $15k for a new minivan, a job like this would be such a blessing!

time to cut the hair i guess and get the old suit out of the closet and shine the shoes! gotta dress to kill!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

good luck on getting the new job. sounds like a great opportunity to jump from the sinking ship. gotta be nerve racking working for a company that is imploding buildings every other week. there is a blue cross training facility next to where I work, and they sure do know how to take care of their own.

Twofingerz.....yeah.....everytime someone drops something large into the dumpster outside my window, i have the sinking feeling that it's my building they are imploding, and they forgot to warn me.

well, just fired off the resume......i hope it looks great! CRAP....i should have added a Guidry fly in there as a gift!

Good luck with the gig, I'm rooting for you. Sounds promising though from what you are saying. Let us know how things work out.

Well, i got more info last night. It's a Unix position. Level 2. He said basic knowledge should be enough. Well, my basic knowledge consists of a class or two of Unix, over 7 years ago, and the little bit of Linux i use everyday where i'm currently at.

So, off to the library i go today to study up on "basic Unix." it sounds like i have at least a month. wish me luck!

Good luck with chasing that new post Oatka.

I use UNIX daily (I'm no sys admin, but I know a few tricks) so I'd be happy to

try to answer any questions you might have.

Hope things work out for you. Remember opportunities don't just happen, we make them happen: study hard.

Dude do you realize, if you get this job and still live within your present budget, you'll have an extra $32,240 to spend on fly-tying materials, fly rods, reels, waders, boots, trips, and other equipment.

Wait, make that $32,227.36, you'll want to take the wife out to McDonalds to celebrate.

Conehead

conehead.....I KNOW ! ! ! ! ! :headbang:

But come on...McDonalds? i would treat her to something nicer than that!..........Burger King!!!