Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PatrickR

First fly

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself and post my first Atlantic salmon fly. I have been tying for years, but stayed away from what I thought was the really hard stuff and just admired from afar. Well, John's gentle prodding and all those fly-candy pictures in Schmookler's books finally got me.

John already talked to me about what I need to work on -- topping and wing size for starters. After he described what the traditional look is supposed to be and how it is achieved I just had to say "Oh!, that's how you do that!!! Duh!"

I have been following the posts for a few weeks and all the posts are informative and have been very helpful. I look forward to participating. For the record, Bud your flies are amazing.

For now, have a good evening and enjoy the attached fly. More to follow soon.

Patrick

post-12229-1190596102_thumb.jpg

let me be the first to welcome you Patrick. you have certainly found the right place to educate yourself in this beautiful art. there are so many great guys here who are exceptional tyers and they all enjoy sharing their knowledge and techniques so you should fall right into place.

your silk and tinsel work are really well done. the wing could have used a little better placement or position but that comes with practice and time. we all made the same mistakes as beginners. it's a common mistake. also, try shortening the throat hackle some on your next fly. your goal here is to tie in the throat hackle and it not being longer than the longest body hackle you tied forward. by tying this in the same lenght as your body hackle you have a nice transition from one to the other. hope this helps and again, welcome to the forum but more importantly. welcome to the dark side,

Bud

Pat

I'm pleased you dicided to take the plunge and also become active on the forum. It would have been better if you decided to do the Salmon Flies back when I was your employee but better late than never.

I just wish any of my first flies looked half that good!

John

It's an absolutely fantastic first fly.......even though i doubt it is the "first" lol, ........that matters not. Seems extremely well done for the most part. The only thing i'd like to see is more humping of the wing, to help fill that gap between the top of the wing and the topping. Then, of course, you might need.........(up to your personall taste...........remember ALWAYS, you tye to please YOU! First AND Formost), an underwing, to both help hold the wing up and in place, and for asthetic reasons. You have all the skill it takes for sure. Skills tuns into skill(s) over time. I may not live long enough to REALLY know......but at least i know that. I've seen quite a few get it "Together" in a VERY short time.........always makes me wanna slit my wrist, OR hire a hit man, :hyst: All the best of luck and good fortune with your tying. mark.....

John, i'll co-sign what you got down below your reply there.........."MY sentiments Exactly"

Very nice fly for your first, fifth or tenth. The body work is very good and there are a lot of positives that you did right. The hackle should generally start at the second turn of tinsel rather than the rear as it generally gets too long before it gets to the front. I would like to see an underwing to cover the lower space and reshaping the wing to fill the upper part of that void.

Great job, now get busy and show us another one. By the way, McLain only has one "c". If you spell it wrong again, John says he won't send you any more feathers. Don't compliment Bud, his cajun head can hardly fit through the door as it is. :)

Very fine first post indeed. Look forward to many more. Another suggestion would be to try to use a topping that more closely hugs the upper edge of the wing. As others have said, all of this will come with practice. You've come to the right place. Welcome!

Leigh

You've got some serious skills. The others have already pointed out all the warts I could detect, so I'll just say welcome to the forum -- and that we look forward to your next contribution!

John

hehe, that is an absolutly amazing start, i don't even want to bring out my first!!! :hyst:

I can't add to what the others have said but I do want to echo that it is a great fly. Also, welcome to the forum. We have a great group here and to a person, all eager to help a new tyer. If you have been reading the posts, you know the coffee and sweet roll drill. Just leave the fritters for me. :hyst:

Hey Patrick

Heck of a first effort. Wish mine looked that good. Having John as a mentor is not too bad, I can attest to that. He is a growly old sob, but he does know of what he speaks when it comes to Salmon Flies. Keep up the good work and lots of practice.

Kyle

WELCOME PATRICK !!!!

It looks like you've slipped a way down the slope already. Hang on my friend, your in for a hell of a ride. What a first post !!!! Congratulations and I look forward to seeing your next efforts.

dg

Welcome Patrick!!!!!!!!! If this is your first salmon fly I look forward to seeing those down the road.... the wing is really cool in design and color :headbang: !!!!!!

Regards

Lee

Wow! Thanks for the all the advice and compliments. Honestly, I have learned as much from this site as from Radencich's books. Seeing other tyers make and overcome the same things I struggle with has helped tremendously.

It also helps to see the amazing talent assembled here and have a target to shoot for!

I look forward to the next flies. After about 60 seconds of conversation with John, he had explained the how and why a "classic" looks a particular way and I will be sure to use his and everyone's advice on the next flies.

I also had to just finally finish the fly with some of the warts mentioned. For me the quote "perfection is the enemy of the good" rings true.

Thanks again,

Patrick

"You'll never be perfect.....all you'll ever do.....is reach a certain degree of excellance." Art Blakey. mark..... B)

Hi Patrick,

First a big welcome.

I don't think for a first fly it could have been tyed any better, beatifully dressed throughtout but the wing is especially well done.

Excellent.........

All the best Davie

Sign in to follow this