Fly Tying
little laker

I met up with KVRNut yesterday

Hey Ernie, I'll bring my N80 when we meet someday, as well as my digital. I'm embarrassed to say this, but my first roll of film in the N80 is still in the camera. But I have lately been meaning to change the batteries and film in the camera for use in the field.

I'm always fascinated looking at the variety of gear at my local Samy's camera store here in L.A., (they actually have a museum of photography equipment.) Regarding sales of equipment The Nikon and Canon stuff is on the 3rd floor, while the fourth floor is the "pro" gear, and many of those cameras are film based, as well as the new super expensive digital backs for medium and large format. I've figured out that photographers using this gear need to be much more deliberate about their compositions, no snapshots, but the final results are far beyond the ordinary. If I win the lotto someday I'll be a fourth floor shopper seeking to create art in the field.

Graham

Graham, the used film equipment isn't that badly priced.

You can get a Pentax or Mamiya 645 and a couple of lenses for about $1,000 used.

The newer stuff has more bells and whistles, but that's just more to go wrong in the field.

Ernie and Stu those are some fantastic shots. I will have to admit I do lean towards liking pictures that have a reflection in the water. I don't know maybe I'm just strange but I do like those.

Does anyone know if there are Pentax film cameras out there that do the auto focus thing?

Jim

Pentax invented the Auto Focus thing with camera's Jim.

They're not only readily available used, but often affordable.

I see that KEH cameras has a Pentax MZ 10 in excellent condition for $62.00 US.

The prices go up from there, and a quick google search will usually show you a review.

Thanks for the compliment Jim!

Yeah, I kinda like water shots that have a reflection to them too and no, you're not strange at all. :D: If I can see a relfective water surface and if the picture is there, I'll take it if I have the camera in hand. Was out yesterday and took this pic of a pool at Bear Creek.

post-3353-1190779313_thumb.jpg

If I'm lucky, tomorrow I'll be able to post some pics I took late this afternoon that you'll like. Will see what develops. :rolleyes:

Graham, I hope that the some day comes and that the film and batteries are fresh in the N80 so we can give that poor neglected thing a real work out. In the mean time, I think you better get that film developed!:D If you think that you're the only one who has had a camera sitting for a long time, with film in it, all set and ready to go, join the club!:lol: I've got a Pentax ME that's had film in it since March that I've started using today to take some shots of some of my equipment. I've got another point and shoot camera that's had film in since last Sept. and it hasn't taken a shot since I loaded it. Guess I better get my rear in gear and do something about that, eh?

As far as equipment goes, I'd love to be a fourth floor shopper too but I'm pretty happy with the 35mm format. What gets me is how many pro photographers still use manual focus 35mm gear out in the field for wildlife and scenic shots. When I look at what equipment they used for a shot and see that they used an A-1 or an AE-1P or T-70, that gets to me because I have the same cameras they use. I just have to learn how to get the most out of what I have and not be afraid of pushing the envelope with the equipment.

With the cost of using med. format equipment, I can certainly understand why the pros are far more deliberate in their choice of the pictures they take and I agree that the results are something else. All I have to do is look at some of Peter's work and that says it all right there.

Ernie