Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zip

Toucan Sam 5/0

Here is my latest creation if you will.I was in sorta of a tiers block and started looking through some of the pre built wings Bud had sent me.I found this set and realized "hey,I have some nice colors to match this!"So I went to work with my new inspiration and am pretty happy with it.Needs a tad bit o work but still nice.Got the name from all the toucan I used as vielings in the center section of the body.It has 2 yellow on top and bottom with red toucan tail coverts over top of the yellow.

Tied on a modified GS hook(5/0).I believe I worked for 5 hours on this one,and had a crap load of fun!Comments/critics welcome as usual!Thanks,Steven

BTW-The center body section is purple to match the top strip in the wings.

post-3092-1190692672_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the words guys!

Matt- I didnt even think about adding toppings...that would have been sweet!

Wonderful job Steven. Your best to date. Also, thanks for sharing your bodywork on the other post. You're making great strides and tying beautiful flies

dg

likely your best fly to date steven. one thing, try building a nicer taper on the tag end. it looks to blunt the way it is. you have to work at creating a nice reduction of materials towards the tip. the tag has a visual apperance of it being larger than the forward preceeding body section. this is corrected with practice and time, learning how much material needs to be placed there so once you have all tinsels and silk attached it's not bigger than it should be. a rule of thumb is always go a little smaller than you think it should be. once your ready to begin applying silk wraps and you do notice it's to small you can make additional thread wraps to correct it then. think back to what i told you i do with the thread as i work forward? always adding thread remember? those wings look familier?

nice job buddy and keep it up. you'll get it all soon, Bud

love the color scheme :headbang: :headbang:

tyrone

Hi Steven,

Excellent tying, very neat and tidy work throughout the dressing.

Well done...

All the best Davie

Thanks for all the words guys!

Bud-I will remember it for the next one-thanks for the tip!

Steven

Have not seen much of your work, but if this is what it is like, you are on the right track. I am not a real fan of larger bodies (Bud), but it appears you are getting the hang of that also.

Keep up the good work.

Kyle

Sign in to follow this