Fly Tying
JayMorr

Lets see your B & W's

Since seeing a few shots in B & W from a few of you, I have been playing around with my camera settings and also Photoshop. I would like to see some of your examples.

This was shot the other night and the lighting was bad but I still love looking at mayflies up close.

IPB Image

Do you guys have any specific techniques for shooting in B & W ??

Beautiful shot Jay....

I don't know if Sepia qualifies as B&W but I was using B&W film on a cloudy day and had it developed in Sepia.

I don't have a specific technique for B&W other than looking for the shot and wondering if it would look good in B&W or Sepia.

Ernie

My favorite pond again...

post-3353-1191441054_thumb.jpg

I would have dearly loved to have had a horse and buggy come along when I took these lane shots. Used a deep lens hood along with a couple lens rings to get the vingette look on some of them.

post-3353-1191441139_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1191441178_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1191441239_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1191441269_thumb.jpg

Fall colors starting to become apparent.

post-3353-1191441797_thumb.jpg

You can't get a finer antique than a tree.

post-3353-1191441354_thumb.jpg

I think Ernie hit the nail right on the head. Previsualization is vital if you want to do good B&W stuff. Just shooting a scene and deciding later whether you're after color or B&W just won't cut it most of the time. They're entirely different media and require different approaches. Studying the masters in the field is still the best way to learn. The internet makes it easier than ever.

Here are two from Mt. Shasta that I took last year. They are pretty cool looking shots, I think.

Ashby

post-3929-1191450736_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1191450768_thumb.jpg

Great looking photos KVR and Ashby! Thanks for the tips guys. I agree Peter, the internet had a lot of info out there on some tips and tricks. Here is another shot of that October Calli

IPB Image

I definitly think Sepia qualifies! I will start experimenting more.

Never thought of doing insects in Sepia chrisfish. Great idea! That second picture is a real dandy because it's timeless...

By the looks of Ashby's Mt. Shasta pics, I'm going to have to make a bit of a trip south some day.

Ernie

Wow, what a wide assortment of fantastic photos!

I kind of like this one, lots of contrast... but probably a bit too much gray

post-992-1191531834_thumb.jpg

Hi Jay, thanks, it's actually one of the first photos taken with my Nikon, summer of 06, looking out the window of an airliner, while weaving our way between thunderstorms. Here's the color version.

IPB Image

Here are two B&Ws I took today at a roadside swamp near Roseville. I couldn't wait to get there today and take the pictures, hope you all like them.

Ashby

post-3929-1191537031_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1191537104_thumb.jpg

OK, this first one was taken last Winter while driving through South Dakota. It's called Travellers, in reference to the car in front of me, myself and the people in the aircraft leaving the contrails. Can you tell I like Ansel Adams?

IPB Image

This second image I took about 5 or 6 years ago. It's basically just an experiment in perspective that turned out better than I thought. It's called Solitude II.

IPB Image

This third image is a self portrait done as an homage to the Frank Miller movie, Sin City. I couldn't help myself, I named it Sid City.

IPB Image