Fly Tying
philipmadamson

A feeling of acceptance

My first thought when joining this website was that I would have to “earn” my position around the forum as well as be a member for quite some time before anyone would bother to help me or give me advice. I guess I got that thought from the experience I get in many fly stores that I walk into. I don’t know if this is because I am young (not that young, well maybe, 21), or if I just don’t look like I have ever fly fished before, or like I have never tied a fly (the guy in Cabelas that tried to tell me to start by tying woolly buggers when I had already tied dozens and was looking into tying some bass poppers, even thought I had been tying for ¾ of a year he did not bother asking if I knew anything about it, I still love the store), but all that said, I really enjoy this place. I find myself on it everyday (for the past week and a half or so) trying to read as much as I can about everything.

So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here. It is so comforting knowing that I can ask a question on here and I could be answered by a beginner like myself, or an expert. I love that we are all fly tiers and that’s how everyone sees each other.

I never did an introduction, but I am a senior at Texas A&M University, major is Recreation Park and Tourism (Yes I am majoring in Recreation and it is amazing) (I had three classes today and they were all held outside). I have been fly fishing for around 6 years, but never caught a fish until this past summer (my first catch on my own fly, good feeling), and yes, I went 5 summers of fly fishing, not really know what I was doing until this past one, before I even caught a fish). Anything else you care to know about me just ask. If you know any good places to fish around the College Station area let me know.

Thanks

Philip Adamson

phillip welcome aboard, i have from the first day been made to feel welcomed. lots of the best of people here, always willing to share. enjoy, Best regards Paul

Wow, 5 years of fishing and not catching anything? that's endurance. I went about 2 hours yesterday before the thoughts of failure started creeping into my head. Fortunately among all the HUGE salmon there was 1 tiny sunfish that was willing to make my day go from "standing on the shore looking like an idiot" to "fishing."

With that kind of dedication it will nice to see the flies you tie!

I am glad that you feel at home here, that has been my goal for this place since day one. Welcome!

Philip,

Welcome aboard, When i first started tying 20 years ago, there wasn't a whole lot. I was just starting to find the internet. My dad saw something in me in 1965 and bought me a flyrod and reel, and left me on my own.

He died too young, before internet. but it stayed with me. I read and bought and learned on my own. Your in a time when things are at your fingertips!!!! I'm still learning, but most of all having fun, ( at 54 ). This is one of the best sites I've ever been associated with. People will help with anything you can come up with. So don't be shy, just ask, be willing to take some ( critisizum ?? ) , tell some to take a hike. and remember, some of the fish catchingist flies have been chewed to bits bit fish, so no fly is worthless, no matter what you may think. In some way we're all beginners and experts. and if your ever in central Iowa, i'll be glad to show you how things are done the right way and the wrong way!!!!! LOL.

Tim

Stuart, Iowa

Phillip. i also want to welcome you aboard. i've always said this was a great place to be. . if you also have any questions or need any kind of help please ask. theirs an array of people and personalities here and they all are great people who enjoy helping others.

your not that far from me. i worked alot out of galveston for years, was my home port out of texas for 25 years. been to houston quite abit and all over the coast. i'm here in southeast louisiana. again, glad to have you .

Bud

Philip

Welcome ..like the others have already said..just ask and one of the great people here will answer

enjoy

Mike :D

Glad to have you Phillip! The people around this place are a wonderful collection of talent all willing to share and help in any way possible.

Ditto. Don't ever be shy about asking a question here, we ALL started out at the same place, all made the same mistakes. I'm willing to bet that most of us are self-taught, too. Anyway, welcome to the site.

I totally agree, I havent been here very long either and everyone is very nice and informative. You can get TONS of information even before you join on here. I hope I can help out others as well.

I find each forum has it's own feel and some are better at making you feel comfortable and some just have people that don't make you feel at home. This site in general is a good one and has friendly people that are willing to helps and give advice as they see it.

It's nice to be able to feel like you can ask a question without thinking you may get slammed or made to feel bad for asking it in the first place.

I enjoy this place a good bit.

I spent some time in your area a long time ago when I went to Allen Academy back in the late 60's and really have not been back much until this year as I was passing through it a good bit early this year to see my son at BAMC in San Antonio.

I wish I could help with fishing in your area, but my time there was at Allen Academy and we didn't get out much.

So Welcome and enjoy,

Skip

It is great to have you along for the ride. Many consider fly fishing an addiction, but I think it is a way of life. Even if it were an addiction, I feel it's the kind of addiction that is not detrimental to your well being (except for spending too much money on fishing and tying supplies). It sounds as if it's too late for you. You are a member of a long line of good people that enjoy this way of life, and many are right here ready to assist, support and share.

Mark

You are a thoughtful young man Philip. There are always new twists in this game which is what keeps it interesting. Good luck with your fly tying and may you be blessed with the time to experiment with your creations on the water...for it is there that you really get to see what is right and wrong about the flies you are tying. The most important judge is the fish. Don't forget the late great Gary LaFontaine's "principles of roughness and ugliness"......LOL

All the best,

John

Hey Phillip,and welcome!!! Funny how things work....A friend and I were discussing just yesterday,the sometimes foul treatment received at the hands of fly shop owners,and/or employees. It occurs to me that this is an unfortunate,but very widespread state of affairs. I have some theories as to what might cause this,which I won't go into here. With regard to this forum,it is in my experience the best of it's kind...period!! Want to prove it to yourself?? Go check out some of the other fly-fishing/tying related forums that are out there on line...That's all I'm going to say on that subject !! Will,and the other moderators have gone WELL above and beyond the call with this project!! It is very refreshing to see this wonderful medium called "the internet" being used for something that is useful and constructive,as opposed to the countless ways it is misused!! Again,welcome aboard!!!

Sulphernut

PS: Before I suffer the wrath of those forum members who own,or work in fly-shops,let me say that I have also had many many experiences in fly-shops that I wouldn't trade for the world!! It's NOT everybody!!!