Fly Tying
ILikeFish

craziest material

I thought id start a thread on the craziest, or most unusual material you use to tie flies. like using a koosh ball for rubber legs, or my buddy has tied a "troll hair" nymph. I just wanted to see how creative some people are.

ps I think he has used the troll hair nymph like 3 times now, and it has caught trout every time. not bad for snipping hair from a troll doll.

I've used:

Human hair

Christmas icicles

Electrical wire (not in a traditional way, but as a wing)

A tampon (Fly named Salmpon. hooked a salmon with it too) B)

Musk Ox, Various Cat toys, Cat fur, Rubber Bands, I tie a fly with a Trojan condom......it's called the tube steak parachute.....LOL Just kidding! -Jamie

Tollet Paper

Makes a killer flesh fly.

We use make a fly out of old wader strap. the army worm

Let me see.................

Also cats and rabits whiskers they make great tails on dries. Zebra tail hair terrific segnmented bodies.

Various christmas decorations. Broom bristles in place of japanese nymph legs. Cats underfur in place of mole for dubbing. Drinking straws I will post some pics of these patterns when I remember.

If I think of more I will post them

Mike............................ B)

cat whiskers?!?! I could start tanning cat's masks and selling them to you guys! Folks have been buying hare's masks for decades, and here comes an unfilled market niche. Time to dust off the old pellet gun and get to work!

But seriously, when I was a kid(11, 12 maybe), I had a good buddy who also was avid about tying. His sister had a pet cat. He was eyeballing those whiskers for a long time, thinking "mayfly tails." One day he couldn't resist any longer. I held the cat with his Dad's welding gloves, and he snipped all the whiskers. That cat went NUTS for a couple days! He made some real nice dries though.

A little while ago my wife spent way too much money and got her hair dyed a real nice auburn brown kind of color. About like what you see in a very nice piece of walnut rifle stock. I called it "rifle stock walnut" in fact, and she got a little PO'd, "no it's autumn leaves blah blah blah blah something something." A couple days later I thought it would really add a nice touch mixed in with the bucktail I was using to tie some clouser minnows. I asked her if I could snip some and you can guess the answer. Then I tried to sneak up on her with my tying scissors while she was falling asleep watching TV. Well I got caught (she was tipped off by my son, who thought it was no end of funny) and belted in the ribs too. At least I tried.

Craziest thing huh?I once tied a fly with warewolf fur!

There I was in the parking lot of the local walwart.I had just purchased a new lockback knife when out of no where there it was.Eyeballing me!I immediatly thought warewolf hare nymphs,streamers,hairwings!

He started attacking me when I jumped up(almost superhuman)and did a back flip with a twist over the buggy coral.

His warewolf friends watched helplessly as I hogtied him and shaved his fur(with the knife I bought at walmart).

I untied him and he ran off like a little girl.

To this day I have not seen him,I only have his hair,it will keep me tying for a long time!

Okay-Tied a dry fly with wood.Made a crab with a nickel.Made an egg out of paper.

I have used carp scales, cigarettes, sunflower seeds, walnut shells and plant pods. I want to try calf lung membraine some time, got that from Paul Schmookler, just kidding!! Bill C. p.s. or am I?

Okay okay okay-ear wax for dubbing wax......

i once used my wifes skin as spinner wings when i was tying realistic mayflies

Umm... how does that one work? I'm guessing she had a sun burn and was peeling?

Otherwise, you kinda creep me out and I'm going to start calling you Hannibal. :hyst: