Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ILikeFish

Griffin Montana Mongoose

Hi ILikeFish,

I've been using the Mongoose for about 3 years now and absolutely love it. It comes with both a pedestal and a C clamp, and it's own travel case. Very sturdy vise with good hook holding power covering a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary feature is top notch as well.

Good luck with your decision!

Cheers,

Nick

I also have used a Mongoose for a few years. I dont have many complaints about it if any at all. I have never used the c clamp and I second the remarks about hook holding power etc... I tie flies in size ranges from 3/0 - 22 with no problem.

I've had one for a couple of years now. No problems at all, very satisfied with it. I have the clamp, have not tried the pedistal. I don't tie a wide range of hooks sizes (8 to 20) but have had no trouble with the holding power. Rotary operation is smooth. I can see myself tying on this one for a few years.

I would like to see them include a 90 degree extension on the handle, but that's not a big deal. IMO a very good vise for the money.

I've had one for a couple of years now. No problems at all, very satisfied with it. I have the clamp, have not tried the pedistal. I don't tie a wide range of hooks sizes (8 to 20) but have had no trouble with the holding power. Rotary operation is smooth. I can see myself tying on this one for a few years.

I would like to see them include a 90 degree extension on the handle, but that's not a big deal. IMO a very good vise for the money.

I agree I also wish it had a 90 degree feature of some sort, which would be my only criticism, not a big complaint, I still love the vise.

After 40 years of tying I decided to go rotary a few months ago. You can find some great deals on the Mongoose, and if you look around you'll find it has good reviews. It does have a lot of nice features, like two bases and a carrying case. I must say one I wonder what in the hell I was waiting for to go rotary, it's like night and day. I like the vise it easily holds hooks for 22 to O2 with an easy adjustment. The only complaint I have is: on mine many of the thumb screws that hold it together keep coming loose which make the vice "play". It's no trouble to reach over and retighten the thing butt’s annoying.

No not with the new one. Sometimes the tension lever-if that’s what its called, pulls out when I’m tightening it to secure a hook. Its not a big deal it slides right back in. For the price this is a great vise! Any one can find faults in anything.