Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
indieangler

Thompson Whip Finish - Help

I'm having some serious issues learning how to do a whip finish with a Thompson whip finisher tool. I've tried reading the instructions that came with it.....didn't help....I've seen multiple tutorials online, most of which the pictures are tiny and low resolution which don't show you anything...and then I spent tons of time watching the same video example on YouTube over and over again, but I just can't get it to work. The guy on the YouTube tutorial makes it look so simple.

I think I get it all setup properly, but when I go to do the whip and start rotating the tool, the thread just gets all wrapped funnily around the tool itself and it never really ends up on the hook at all. I'm massively confused and I'm starting to feel silly. Can anyone offer any assistance? Thanks!

I'm having some serious issues learning how to do a whip finish with a Thompson whip finisher tool. I've tried reading the instructions that came with it.....didn't help....I've seen multiple tutorials online, most of which the pictures are tiny and low resolution which don't show you anything...and then I spent tons of time watching the same video example on YouTube over and over again, but I just can't get it to work. The guy on the YouTube tutorial makes it look so simple.

I think I get it all setup properly, but when I go to do the whip and start rotating the tool, the thread just gets all wrapped funnily around the tool itself and it never really ends up on the hook at all. I'm massively confused and I'm starting to feel silly. Can anyone offer any assistance? Thanks!

Here is the link that helped me with the Thompson style Whip finish tool.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Skip

indieangler

Maybe you should consider whip-finishing by hand. It isn't difficult (providing you have smooth skin and well-groomed nails) and eliminates the need to find and set up one more tool when tying.

By the way, I could never get my whip finisher to work by following the instructions either. Just sort of figured it out for myself. (After some hours of frustration!) Hang in there and you will master the d$#%^ tool.

i would spend the 4 dollars and buy the other whip finisher it is way easier to do!!! the thompson whip finish is not good, i had trouble with that one too stupid string anyway buy the other one!!

just ordered the matarelli style since you can do bead heads. the thompson is hard to learn and until you asked the question today I tried to follow the grainy youtube videos and all that and thought I was doing it right but I guess i was wrong the whole time! thankx for asking that question. I got both kinds now.