Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ILikeFish

Black Gnat

ILikeFish

That's a pretty fly. Well-balanced and with nice proportions. What size hook? Don't worry much about the quill wings. They get much more ragged when fished, but still work fine.

looks great! what do you use for the wings? what kind of quill? sorry I am new to dry flies. I got a black cape coming and wanna make some midges. but I think I got everything but those wings.

the wings are duck quill, but if your doing midges, it could be quite dificult... id probably start a little larger for your first few quill wings.... heres a better one with married wings I tied a few nights ago.

IPB Image

if you have the hatches magazine, theres an article on quill wings that is very helpfull

Those are some pretty nice flies.

I love quill wings. Infact hackle tip wings are my least favorite. I like to use mallard flank mostly. But I find calf tail and deer hair work well for larger flies. I am not into synthetics too much, I dont know why, but I think i prefer the natural stuff, because it related me to the older tiers more. But if you are into synthetics you can use almost anything.

-Phil

ILikefish, that looks pretty good, your proportions look very nice. One thing a lot of folks do is make the wings way to long, yours look fine. One thing I like to do with all my drys except hair wing patterns is after I tie the hackle in I'll put a small amount of dubbing around both sides of the wing where the hackle will be wrapped. I think it gives the fly a fuller look plus I think it helps the hackle to wrap better. Depending on the pattern I'll try to use dubbing that matches the color of the hackle or the body.

That married wing is one fine looking pattern, love the color combo and the wings are fantastic.

R.Schreiner