Fly Tying
DaveG

The Lion (variation)

This is Kelson's dressing minus roof and horns. I had a good roof on but it didn't seem right, I don't have the red and yellow Macaw which are specified, and as this will be mailed, I skipped the horns.

What a bunch of Mularkey !!!...I dodged a few moves for sure and I didn't have my "A Game". Heads a bit big, but I think she still looks OK

dg

post-4051-1192375325_thumb.jpg

That is a very nice fly!! The tag is smooth...I dream of getting heads like this, if it is big well i think it looks great!!

dave, this is probably the best tied fly ive seen. in my eye, this is perfectly proportioned to the hook. the tail to topping, and all things in between. the body is a given. "A game" or not....ive got new wallpaper

thanks

When I grow up, will I be able to tie flies that look as good as yours? :baby:

Dang, Gotz, that's beautiful. Shortcuts or no, that's one heckuva nice Lion. Immaculate. I am in awe. Love the Lucas Emerald Isle iron, too.

John

stunning Dave. the underwing thing you tried, did it work good in applying the main wing over? love the body hackle and throat on this fly. let me know if it went smoothly. i'd like to try that technique you used on that underwing application. again, beautifully done dave.

i can't help thinking what crow would have looked like over the JC as cheeks on this fly with all the other red and black components. it's possible the guy that invented this pattern years ago couldn't afford any crow !!!!! or maybe he had ran out of his stash of crow?

Bud

Sweet tie, Dave. :headbang: I notice a couple other unconventional features (like 6 ribs) but it matters not. Your

flies make complete visual and technical sense, and add up to a fly that is all Gotzmer. Beautiful! :yahoo:

Shameful... :hyst: :j_k: (just kidding)

Wonderful fly, Dave. I wish I could tye as well on my best day as this "Mularkey". Admirable work in my book! :headbang:

Wowzer there. Mr. G. Very nice fly indeed. I'm with Isonychia-I want to be as good as you (and a number of other fantastic tiers on this forum as well) when I grow up. Beautiful work, impeccably neat.

I'm in a bit of a tying funk these days. Took a bit of time out to tie a few trout flies to restock my boxes with my all-too-limited tying time. Went back to a Murdoch, as a fly I've wanted to tie. Got a fair to middling one (which I'll post soon for feedback) and decided to tie another one to correct the mistakes I saw on the first. Total #&*@!. Can't set the wing to save my life. It's been looking at me for days, condemning my incompetence. I was actually hoping my dog would eat the feathers and put me out of my misery. Even he won't touch them. Hope to get back in the groove pretty soon. Just need to retire so I have time to tie!

Leigh

Per the other posting today you won't just get a comment from me (perhaps I'll be insufferable...)

Yes, it is gorgeous... and very clean. I only dream of tying that crisply...

I have some questions...

Is the red at the bottom of the wing an underwing, placed over the GP underwing?

What is the red/brown speckled winging feather at the bottom of the wing?

Is the teal shoulder married to the JC nail? How did you do that? or is that just the position of the teal and the JC? and is that a peacock herl married to the top of the teal?

I'm assuming the top of the wing is amherst or silver pheasant tail? seems whiter than GP. How well does that marry to the wing as opposed to GP, which seems to always be stiff and has a tendency to split (in my uncoordinated hands anyway)?

-E

STUNNING TIE GOTZ!I love the body and the wing comp!Steven