Fly Tying
DaveG

The Lion (variation)

E:

To answer your questions

1. Yes, the red under the wing is a second underwing (GP Sword)

2. The bottom barbs of the wing are Argus

3. The teal is applied as a side (unmarried)

4. The P-cock herl is applied as a side (unmarried)

5. The uppermost part of the wing is a GP substitute

Thanks E....dg

dave when your done arguing with yourself i would just like to say beautiful fly the body work is , well simply great.Best regards Paul

Dave,

Unbelievable fly! I absolutely love it. The wing has some great color blending.

The body and hackle are awesome as well. Great job.

Paul

Dave, you did a great job on this :) Personally I'd make a bigger fly or use a smaller hook to balance the all-look, since you took this pattern from Kelson. Also the but is a bit small, but that's my taste then... Otherwise the bodywork is stunning as always and the bodyhackle... That's the way it should be done :headbang:

Thanks Long:

Very good observations. Now that I look at it after reading your comment, the stout Emerald Isle hook would look better and easily support a thicker J-Lo butt. There's no doubt I could have added the roof but my skills are weak in that area and I omitted it for my own convenience even after tying in two pair. Thank you

dg

:headbang: Great stuff Dave. I agree with Bud's hackle praise - it's really well done. I'm in the same boat with the roof thing. Wish I had a nickle for every fly I've mangled right at the last minute with a poorly applied roof. :wallbash: :wallbash: Material selection seems to be the key to success... I have a ton of bronze mallard, but very little of it seems to be much use...

While although i haven't tried it "Yet," you guys gotta see the Sawada tape where he does his Mallard work with a technique of reversing his thread and then tyes the far wing (or roof feather) in by wraping "towards" himself. Think about it. If your wraping towards yourself, it can't roll away from you. What he does is take the thread under the tip of the hook and then reverse it. Later he just comes back under again and he's back to wraping away from himself. Dig? VERY cool trick. GREAT work Dave. mark B)

While although i haven't tried it "Yet," you guys gotta see the Sawada tape where he does his Mallard work with a technique of reversing his thread and then tyes the far wing (or roof feather) in by wraping "towards" himself. Think about it. If your wraping towards yourself, it can't roll away from you. What he does is take the thread under the tip of the hook and then reverse it. Later he just comes back under again and he's back to wraping away from himself. Dig? VERY cool trick. GREAT work Dave. mark B)

Reversing thread is an old and daft technique that's more trouble than it's worth if you ask me - and a damn sight more fiddly than simply learning to put the wings on properly (they used to do it by hooking the thread 'in catch' between the gut and the hook tip).

As it happens I tie 'backwards' anyway - bringing the thread over the top TOWARDS me - thought everyone did it like that until I got on the internet.

Dave

HI Dave,

Nothing wrong with this beauty in my eyes, the body is spectacular to say the least and the overall shape is top class.

Well done..........

All the best Davie

I'm a little late in seeing this fly, and commenting, there's something about it that just pops at me, I don't know if it's the hook or what, but it's spectacular!!