Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Boy

classics - give them another go

hi all

with the end of the fishing season i have decided to give the classics another go after tying a few last year

i have decided to start with the lessons on Ronns site

any tips along the way will be most appreciated

here are the first two rusty rat and silver monkey

they are tied small on size 9 maybe i should do the lessons on bigger hooks?

anyway here they are

all the best

john

post-4659-1192382174_thumb.jpg

post-4659-1192382200_thumb.jpg

They both look very good. There is one area on both that need a little attention. On the rearmost part of the body of each fly has a bump. This is from the tie off of preceding materials. Try to shorten and flatten the tie offs so the herl will cover them. Also, the wing on the RAT is a tad long. The wing on the SM is perfect.

Overall though, very well done. Correct the above and move to the next step.

Jon Boy:

I think your 1st choices are excellent. When Ronn feels you're ready to move on to the next step...LISTEN as though your future success in tying the classics depends upon it. His advise is SOLID and can work for every person regardless of individual vision. If you'd like to move to another learning track or mentor..check with him. GREAT START !!!

dg

wow great start, a few minor mistakes as ronn pointed out, just never give up and patience lots of patience if you keep trying and tying you will accomplish much, can;t wait to see more, Best regards Paul

Nice work, nothin' to worry bout at all..........you'll be fine, just keep at it. mark

Hi John,

I hope you had a great season, both flies look very good just wee tweaks here and there like Ronn said.

You're going the right way if you want to tye these flies.

Well done....

All the best Davie

I would suggest getting some blind eye hooks.It will make it much easier for you.

Sign in to follow this