Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
1morecast

" Rolled Wing"

While searching for a couple of patterns to tie for salmon in the salt and in esturies, I have come across numerous patterns which call for a "rolled wing". The material used is mallard flank or a simialiar material.

I was wondering if anyone out there can describe the process of the rolled wing.

Thx.

Frank

Bert, if i'm not mistaken Mr. Loren Williams is the same man that was the official Team U.S.A. tyer is 2005 at the World Fly Fishing Championship and Conservation Symposium in Sweeden. I met him in Idaho Falls, Idaho at the East Idaho Fly Tying/Fly Fishing Expo. Very nice guy and a very fine tyer. He tyed me a March Brown Emerger which i still have.....a very inovative design. Works like a champ. mark..... B)

I find this method very useful for tying low water salmon flies, or short takers.. which ever you want to call them. But it is fast, and looks pretty decent. I sometimes just bunch my BM. I will post a picture when I get home. But I like this method, especially as an alternative to hair wings like moose or squirrell tail.

-Phil