Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

Well, dafack01 is moving again! Life's funny isn't it?

Before i took my current job with UPS in Des Moines, I interviewed with Gulfstream (they make fancy high-dollar business and personal jets for those who aren't familiar; like Learjets except faster and higher flying). I REALLY wanted that job but didn't get it. UPS came calling so I thought what the heck?

Last Friday, Gulfstream called me saying they had a second position open up and they REALLY wanted me to come down for an interview (they're building a brand new final assembly facility in Savannah). Well, I LOVED the interview and the company and they're covering my moving expenses, and the salary and benefits are great, so I'm now moving to Savannah, Georgia!

I've been absolutely FASCINATED with planes since I was a little boy, and even at UPS my goal was to eventually work for the airline. Planes have always captured my imagination. Packages haven't. Life's way too short to do something you're not passionate about.

I feel bad for UPS, but I hardly planned on Gulfstream having another position available.

DOES THIS MEAN YOU GET A CORPORATE JET AND COME FLY AROUND AND PICK US ALL UP AND TAKE US TO THOSE GREAT FLYFISHING PLACES AROUND THE WORLD :hyst: :hyst:

CONGRATS ON THE NEW JOB......

MIKE :D

Dustin,

It was great to meet you and fish with you. Good luck in your new job. Get used to grits!!!!!!!

Hope all the mud came off the jeep. LOL

Tim

Thanks all! This is the job I really wanted. Gulfstream seems to care more about the well-being of its employees than UPS does. I could go on and on about why I chose this job over UPS (not that UPS isn't a good job). I'm that pumped up about it! I just don't have that same fire and passion about working for UPS in Des Moines.

Dustin,

It was great to meet you and fish with you. Good luck in your new job. Get used to grits!!!!!!!

Hope all the mud came off the jeep. LOL

Tim

Tim, it was great meeting and fishing with you too! Thanks for a warm welcome to Iowa! You know you're catching big bluegills when you catch about 10 of them when bass fishing. :flex: THAT was fun! Those were the biggest 'gills I've caught in a LONG time!

The mud is pretty much off the exterior but I still need to take it to a car wash and vaccuum out the floorboard. :lol: Between being out of town in Burlington and flying to Savannah for a job interv...I mean free weekend vacation I haven't had time to do the serious cleaning it needs.

mnorton, I was thinking about breaking the ice during my phone interview in August by asking (in a very serious tone) about the company discounts we get (not that I'd ever be able to even remotely afford a Gulfstream). I just thought though that specifying planes would take away some of the punch, and it could get misconstrued as the Gulfstream discounts given by other businesses around Savannah. :P

Now I wonder what kinda fishing there is around Savannah. I'm thinking (besides the obvious freshwater fishing) Redfish, Flounder, Speckled Trout, Striper (in the winter), that kinda thing. It should be a reasonable drive to head up to North Carolina for Bluefish and False Albacore if they don't make it down this far. Maybe Tarpon make it up here?

South Florida should be a great trip for a long weekend (seeing that I'll be working 4-10's and I'll have three day weekends, that works out perfect!). I can head down there to catch a 10 lb Largemouth finally and wrangle with some Peacock Bass! And Snook, and tarpon, and bonefish, and sailfish...

And Atlanta is a reasonable drive too if I want to catch some Trout. Steve, that short 4 weight might turn into a 9' 4 weight. I figure that'll be a good big river trout rig. One setup for dries and nymphs and one for chuckin' some streamers. The 4 weight should be killer for Bluegill too!

I'm beginning to think I'll be going on a vacation that'll never end! :yahoo: Having a job you're passionate about certainly won't hurt either. :)

dfack01

Well there is some darn GOOD trout fishing in the mountains streams down in the south,just have to do some diggin around to find out where..

Now when i hit the the big mega million lotto I'm calling you to buy my customized trick'd out

Gulfstream V.................interior design .you guessed it fly fishing.....and hunting related stuff

on the Tail/fuselage smething ..something like a picturesque Rocky Mountian Stream with me fishing and a big ol bull elk bugling in the background...............hey it's nice to dream I'm back now.....

Good luck to you...

Mike :D

dfack01

Well there is some darn GOOD trout fishing in the mountains streams down in the south,just have to do some diggin around to find out where..

Now when i hit the the big mega million lotto I'm calling you to buy my customized trick'd out

Gulfstream V.................interior design .you guessed it fly fishing.....and hunting related stuff

on the Tail/fuselage smething ..something like a picturesque Rocky Mountian Stream with me fishing and a big ol bull elk bugling in the background...............hey it's nice to dream I'm back now.....

Good luck to you...

Mike :D

I wouldn't be the one you'd place your order to, I'd be the one making sure it's built right. :D Scary, huh? :blink:

I know I'll have a reasonable drive to North Carolina, East Tennessee, and the Chattahoochie River for some badass trout fishing. With my new 3 day weekends I might end up fishing there more often than I think. But then again with all of the Redfish and Striper around, I might end up chasing them around in a kayak all day. What a great problem to have! :headbang:

The boat I end up getting in the medium-term future will have to be a saltwater boat though. Not much freshwater around Savannah.

Keep us updated with the fishin down south. Don't be afraid to pack some dry ice and fresh redfish and send it back to Iowa!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you might find some GIANT bluegills in Georgia!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So pack a side arm to shoot em if need be. LOL

Keep us updated with the fishin down south. Don't be afraid to pack some dry ice and fresh redfish and send it back to Iowa!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you might find some GIANT bluegills in Georgia!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So pack a side arm to shoot em if need be. LOL

Heck, that 5 pound shellcracker was caught in South Carolina wasn't it?

That thing was as big as a damn garbage can lid!

Dustin, congrats, I hope it all goes great!!! and oh yeah go MOUNTIANEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dustin

Due to the complete suckage this year by the Louisville Cardinals, I'll have to agree with ya. I still watch some of Louisville's games and I'll always cheer for them, but I've been having a much better time this year taking South Florida, West Virginia, and Kentucky football seriously this year than Louisville football. I don't mind getting beat, just don't be pathetic. We're pathetic. We're beating ourselves. No I won't be cheering for West Virginia when we play you, but all other games, yup. Hell, we actually have been playing better on the road so who knows?

Just wait 'till basketball season! Damn I sound like a Kentucky fan. :P

Seriously, our basketball team will be SO freaking good. We have EVERYONE back...including our coach. I'm convinced that's the difference this year in football. We lost talent but not THAT much talent. Our pathetic year is all coaching. If Petrino was still coach I suspect we'd still be in the top 15.