Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Boy

lesson 4 spey

hi all

first of all this is the first spey fly i ever attempted to tie

not easy at all

first of all planning is important and i didnt plan this

i used 3 ribs and it is a miricale they look as they do( there is a floss rib in there somewhere)

i used red gp breast feather which seem ok for this size

The winging i found difficult, i probably dont have good wquality mallard

i think ill have a go at the dee before comming back to this

anyway all comments and tips gratefully accepted

all the best

john

post-4659-1192968239_thumb.jpg

post-4659-1192968256_thumb.jpg

John,

I can not offer you any advice on this fly since I do not tye them, but there was a wonderful step-by-step article in Hatches on-line magazine that may help you.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/february2007/312

The photos and article should help you with the planning of the various steps.

Kind Regards,

Ray

i think it's a hell of a first attempt.....better than anything i've ever done, in the "classic" sense. good luck in the future. mark

First off Jonboy Id say for a first attempt that is pretty darn good. You would agree if you saw my first attempts!!!!! A couple things that may help. For the main body hackle I always like to strip one side of whatever type feather I use be it blue eared,ringneck rump etc. If a spey fly has to full of a hackle it has a tendency to ride upside down when fished! So I like to go on the sparse side with the hackle. And with the throat hackle 1 1/2 to 2 turns of chosen hackle is a good number to shoot for. Also notice how some of the fibers in your throat are stuck together, if you take a toothbrush and brush out the fibers BEFORE cementing the head this will seperate them and give them a nice rearward flow also. Cant take credit for these as I have learned these techniques through videos,books and this site but they have all been helpful steps in creating better looking as well as better fishing flies. If you can, check out Bob Veverkas or John Sheweys books or Gerald Bartchs' excellent video. I believe there is also a step by step on Ronn Lucas' site as well as on the FeathersMc site and the link posted above. Dont give up on it yet, your off to a great start. Kevin

What the others have said. The wing from this angle looks very good. The quality of the bronze Mallard is critical for Spey wings. Wash the feathers before using. THis will get dust & dirt out of the barbules so they hold together better. You ended a bit too far back in my opinion. That, as you said, is the planning ahead issue. Other than that, I like the fly. Put it away and forget about it for now. And, DON'T go to another type of fly. Stick with the one at hand until you get them done right. :headbang:

I think it is a great first spey.I cannot offer any advise as I dont tie em either,But I know what they are supposed to look like and you did great!

Looking pretty good for a first attempt, Jon Boy. With multiple ribs and a counter rib, plus the long body

hackle, there's alot to keep track of (keeping the spacing right, and not trapping the hackle with the

counter rib). About the bronze Mallard wings: they are easier to set if you keep the body material thin

towards the front, so there's very little bulk at the tie in spot, and the spot is smooth, not lumpy. The main

thing to learn about tying in the Mallard is controlling the pressure and angle of the thread as you tighten.

This takes practice, especially to get the Mallard from bunching up and twisting. My suggestion is that once

you get the wings set the way you want them, make one or two wraps of thread, then add a small drop of

cement to hold the fibers together. Then make a small, neat head with a minimum of wraps.

That's my two cents worth. :D Be sure to show us your next one. :)

Sign in to follow this