Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cwenbass

Danvise Rotary fly tying vise: Any comments

Mine has a slight wobble at times, but other than that i'd say 'If it's good enough for Bud, it's good enough for me!"

(Seeing that you only have 2 posts, it's unclear if you are new here, or just silent. If you stick around or look through the salmon flies forum, you'll see Bud's work and know what i mean!)

I have been tying commercailly for many years and and have been using the Danvise for 10 years at least. I haven't had any trouble with it. I love it. I've sold a couple hundred at least. Have had a couple folks mess up the jaws but they have been warranty by Al Beatty. I have two that I use all the time. I just wish that I had started out early with this vise. There is a web site that shows tying with the Danvise. Check it out good information. visit rotaryflytying.com

There is a web site that shows tying with the Danvise. Check it out good information. visit rotaryflytying.com

unfortunately that is a pay site.

i use two danvise and have never had any problems with either. i've used really tiny hooks up to 10/0 and larger in my vises. always remember to load the hook as far back as you can when placing the hook in the vise.

i want to buy another one soon

Bud

A fellow on the FAOL bulletin has a used one for sale for $55. Might want to check it out-he just posted it.

Dave

I've had one for about five years now, and am very happy with the Danville vise. I use the rotary feature all the time. I did have to make a small modification to the vice to be able to tye tube flies with the HMH tube fly mandrel. I drilled a small hole (1/16" inch) in the vise to allow the mandrels to slide into the head of the vice. If you buy the extension arm, this modification is probably not necessary.

Overall it is a great vice, and the low price makes it an outstanding value.

yeah but, He does have a couple videos you can watch for free.

I've no doubt it's a great site and I could probably learn things there. However the "free" videos at the home page are just the guy telling us why we should buy an annual subscription. I looked all through the site front-end and anything having to do with with any content tell me I need to buy a subscription before I can access anything. Perhaps I missed the part you are referring to. Link?

I'm not dissing the site, I'm just pointing out it's $25 to join.

Well isn't that something. I checked the web site yesterday before I suggested. He had a pattern on the lower right hand corner. Its gone now. Sorry about that. I have been swaying with the idea to subscribe. Just got a new 22 inch flat screen. Sorry about that.