Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
trouthunter

Tippetiwitchet

I never tried to tie this dressing before. I think it's not too bad but nevertheless I feel there is something that it does not satisfy me entirely. But at the end of the day I am never satisfied once a fly is finished. :(

What do you think honestly about this fly? Where should I improve next time I try on this pattern?

Ciao

Alberto

post-3406-1193752806_thumb.jpg

It's a very nice fly. If I should wish something different it would be that you started with a little smaller tippets close to the butt so it would be even more tapered. But your dressing is indeed very good.

Maybe the 2nd and 3rd tippet pairs from the butt on the bottom are in reverse order? Look at Scott M's avatar

The tying is excellent :headbang: :headbang:

Ths only thing I see is the uneven taper on the bottom of the fly otherwise it is fantastic. :headbang:

The head could be a bit better formed and finished. Beautiful fly. mark ;)

Thanks for the comments. I agree, there is something on the taper of the bottom tippets that could be improved.

I'll do better next time.

Cheers

Alberto

Alberto,

When I tied the Tippet Witchet I had to blade it serveral times. A group of 20 matched feathers was a lot of fun. This a difficult fly to tie- I'm sure you found that out. You did a great job and I commend you for for having the patience and willingness to stay with it. Sometimes it may help you to download a picture and scale it up or down to match the size hook your working with. You'll be able to see the details of the fly and actually try to match the feather sizes used and placement. Look at Mike Radecich website. He has wonderful pictures of the John Traherne flies that he tied. By the way, Mike tied that fly on a 7/0 hook.

Keep up the good work and everything will come together over time.

Scott

Below you will see a picture of Mike's Tippet Witchet and my attempt. Just not the same but pleased with the results.

post-10292-1193837998_thumb.jpg post-10292-1193838387_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite patterns!You did really well on it!

Sign in to follow this