Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

butterman 3/0

didnt tie it off yet because i cant get the wood duck shoulders flat?? any ideas??. they look the same on both sides

Put the wood duck sides on before the mallard roof. The roof is causing the strips to have an uneven mounting area and turning sideways. Reverse the order before trying again.

Looking great so far Brewer. The wing set is what I look for.

matt's advise is solid as usual. You may still have to bend and twist the rachis of the jc to get a flush mount. Looking forward to the finsh.

dg

awesome fly can't wait to see the finish, patience, patience, patience. Best regards Paul

you can also try mounting the woody on the sides of the head instead of on top as you have done. just bring it to a lower tie in point on the sides of the head and it should lay flat, Bud

edit, i want to add that you tied a nice fly, looks really neat and the overall apperance is quite nice, great job

As Matt and Bud have said:

a] The roof goes on AFTER

b] the sides need to go on the sides of the head-ish

But in addition you need to tie on the sides UPRIGHT - ie so the fibres lie ON TOP of each other (like a second wing alongside the main one) NOT around the head. It's hard to be definite, but it also looks as if the WD is on the wrong way up - ie orientted the opposite way up to the wing - this SEEMS like the best way to put it on - but it only SEEMS that way - it just doesn't go on well this way up.

Dave

you can also try with a few more B duck fibers, and as Bud says lower down

at the wing ty in point.

some wood duck has a natural twist in it and no matter how one tries to tie it in it still won't sit entirely flush. I bend the crap out of the fibers themself...twist them in the opposite direction that they are curving, kinda like you'd twist a stem of a feather to get it to lie the right way if it is twisting the other way. Don't be afraid to manhandle the feathers or fibers, they are tougher than you think. When I teach classes people are always surprised to find out how resilient fibers are and that they can really twist and reshape things to get them to lie flat, or twist the crap out of a messed up GP crest and get it to come out straight and not have ruined the feather. Hope that makes sense! great fly..is that your own or ??

the shoulders were on there before the roof. it just looks that way in the pic, i need a tripod...i was hoping the roof would kind of keep them down a bit, not the case.

ive removed the roof, and the shoulders, and after all advice...seems the problem was a little of everything.

firstly, after a closer look, they WERE mounted on top of the head, this wasnt the origional position, but its where it ended up.

secondly, the strips i cut were wimpy, as in too skinny. i figure this is the reason they moved after the tie in. also cut them longer this time.

thirdly, i did have to put a banana (bend) in the strip. the tie in point, and the tips were the only things hugging the wing.

dave, are you saying ive got them on the wrong sides??, as in left on right, and vice versa??

makintrax, this is a pattern i seen dave post a while ago and liked it...i think its a malone pattern??

thanks for encouragement guys

the shoulders were on there before the roof. it just looks that way in the pic, i need a tripod...i was hoping the roof would kind of keep them down a bit, not the case.

ive removed the roof, and the shoulders, and after all advice...seems the problem was a little of everything.

firstly, after a closer look, they WERE mounted on top of the head, this wasnt the origional position, but its where it ended up.

secondly, the strips i cut were wimpy, as in too skinny. i figure this is the reason they moved after the tie in. also cut them longer this time.

thirdly, i did have to put a banana (bend) in the strip. the tie in point, and the tips were the only things hugging the wing.

dave, are you saying ive got them on the wrong sides??, as in left on right, and vice versa??

makintrax, this is a pattern i seen dave post a while ago and liked it...i think its a malone pattern??

thanks for encouragement guys

It is in Malone - it's the Golden Olive #5 - also known as the Butterman.

In terms of the fibre orientation they should be the same as the wings.

D

Excellent job on this Brewer. :headbang:

Isn't the problem the actual tie in point? you have a number of curves and vertical planes happening right where you want to tie the shoulder in.

This is where I had my problems:

post-3365-1194242808_thumb.jpg

Hi Brewer,

Wonderful fly so far, I've every faith that you'll finish it perfectly.

Excellent.....

All the best Davie

Sign in to follow this