Fly Tying
indieangler

Jungle Fowl

I've got another newbie question. I have a close friend back in the U.S. that is getting his Master's Degree in Genetics. He works locally at the University and works with all sorts of chickens, hens, and other birds. We were talking about fly tying the other day (he doesn't know much about it) and he said they'd had a lot of Jungle Fowls lately that had been dying or something of the sort. He told me if I wanted any feathers or anything off the birds after they were dead, that he would start saving them for me for the next time I visit. He said the Jungle Fowls look like this bird:

IPB Image

Does anyone know if there are any good feathers or hackle that I should obtain for free from this connection or is this bird pointless for any sort of tying purpose? Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

I think I see some good streamer hackles on there. Go for it and experiment with the feathers. You never know,

They can be hit or miss. I would not hope for dry fly hackle, but there might be something good.

I have found when going through non hackle birds it is very very hit or miss.

Joe Fox

I guess that is one kind of Jungle Fowl. I always thought that a Jungle Cock was just a male Jungle Fowl. I think that a "real" Jungle Cock looks similar to that bird, just different feathers. Did your friend send you that picture? Definately don't turn anything down, even if you only get a little bit of useable feathers, so what?

If it does turn out to be "real" Jungle Cock, don't be too selfish!

Good luck.

Jungle Fowl is a very general type of bird.

The are fairly slender / smaller chickens.

Jungle Cock tend to be smaller then the bird pictured and is a breed of Jungle Fowl.

Alot of Indian Capes are from Jungle Fowl or breeds closely related.

Joe Fox

I think we are missing the key word here which seems to be FREE and no free stuff for flytying should ever be turned down.

Steve

That's not an actual picture of the birds he was telling me about, he said they look close to that. I'll get more details from him. I'll just have him gather things for me and will check it all out at Christmas time. If there's quite a bit, I'll definitely send some out to anyone interested.

Agreed free feathers are always worth a look...

Not to Hi-Jack the thread but here is a little write up about the ones we all love...

Grey Jungle Fowl

The Grey Junglefowl, also known as Sonnerat's Junglefowl, is native to Southern and Western India. Their preferred habit range is variable; they seem to enjoy many surroundings, from bamboo forests, to clearings near villages, to the densest Indian jungle. The Grey Junglefowl is a distant cousin to the Red Junglefowl, which is in the same line as the modern domestic Chicken.

The Grey Junglefowl is a bright, spectacularly colored bird. The comb of these birds is colored a deep red. Their long neck hackles range from dark gray all the way to a deep black, with yellow and white stripes running the length of the neck. Their tail feathers, as well as the feathers near the back, are the same grayish-black color, with similar white stripes. Immature males, typically those less than a year old, will have substantially shorter feathers, and the coloring won't be as vibrant. Their beautiful hackle feathers are sought after heavily by fly-tiers (people who make fishing lures) because of their bright, exuberant coloring. The feathers have a lot of interesting features, like horned spangles, that make them especially valuable to anyone making lures. Trout fishers especially enjoy these feathers, since they're so brightly colored and easily attract trout and salmon.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I see them all the time. That's a Red Jungle Fowl (Gallus gallus). They are the most common of the jungle fowl in my neck of the woods. You can see a picture on my birding site here.

You guys want me to start running 'em over with my truck? ;)

Seriously, colorful birds are the norm here in southern Thailand. Check out the Coppersmith Barbet. How many flies could you get out of one of them?

I can see plenty of uses for such a skin. If your friend is willing to skin those birds, and salt the skins down to preserve them, you should go for it. There is hackle there for streamers tailing, and wooly buggers. Schlappen too should be usable. I would not turn down such a skin or two. Again the operative word is FREE.

Just one other think, when you said "back in the US" it sounds like you are out of the country. You may encounter customs restrictions either leaving, or entering foriegn a country with poultry skins. I know that New Zealand will confiscate "home" tied flies, but allows commercally purchase files to enter the country. Better check that you will be able to take the skins back to where you are.