Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DaveG

Coming out of the closet

I remember when the Rolling Stones produced their first cuts with a "Disco" sound. I was horrified and asked myself what could have possessed them to move in this direction. Was it money, a change in their direction, or perhaps fan based appreciation? I was filled with disdain.

My last group of flies have revealed a part of me that I was unhappy to discover. Amazing that tying flies would have revealed it...I AM NO MORE A TIER OF CLASSIC FLIES THAN A GAY GUY IS STRAIGHT OR THE ROLLING STONES ARE DISCO. I have been filled with anger and confusion while tying. I simply sold myself out to gain acceptance. Needy !! I've had no business at all attempting to gain positive input by constructing 5 ribbed bodies and throwing in a married wing or so just to garner a few posts of recognition. The flies I have posted that let me breathe happily and freely are "The Christmas Wreath". "The Spring Thaw". and "Tiny Dancer ". I like to breathe free and easily and leave the vise with a sense of truth.

I owe much, if not all, of my skills to working within Classical structure and am a strong advocate that "THAT IS THE WAY TO GO" My apologies to all those I have offended with my comments on their work, (mean spirited sometimes) while I, am in fact was struggling to find my own way.

Wishy Washy and still pluggin

dg

Dave,

You gotta tie what makes you happy! PERIOD!

It doesn't matter what anyone else here thinks (although it is a great place to get you're ego pumped up a bit :D ) as long as what you are doing makes you happy, then do it.

I'll be happy to see anything that comes out of your vise!

Aaron

Dave, I wrestled with that dilema years ago. I get no pleasure copying something, beit a fly dressing or just about anything else I do. I realized as you have, the main and perhaps ONLY reason to tie fully dressed flies, classics or freestyle is to have fun with it. The pleasure of solving problems with seldom used materials in unusual, unexpected ways, choose colours in ways that please our eyes and so on and so on. These flies are not (at least mine) tied for utility sake so the sky is the limit.

Now, you guys who thrive in the traditional styles don't get your knickers all bunched up cause I ain't being judgemental in even a tiny way.

We do not and thank God we don't, march to the same drummer. There is nothing wrong with tradition and we've covered that topic ad nauseam. That's all I have to say about that. :)

Welcome to the fresh air outside the box Dave!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I think that to enjoy tying, well you need to tie something you enjoy,

that is maybe simple, but a hobby even when taken seriously, is still

a hobby.

To each his on Gotz. I consider myself a classic salmon fly dresser who sometimes likes tweak a pattern but stay grounded in the classic patterns except for the occasional freestyle. My main concern is that you continue tying and posting your beautiful works whether they be traditional or freestyle. I enjoyed giving Bud such a hard time tying a classic fly because it was out of the box for him and stretched his boundaries(yes, I do believe that Bud was challenged to stay inside the box and try something different) while others would be challenged to get outside the box. I think that it should be fun and everyone should tie whatever they enjoy whether it be classic, freestyle or some of both!

DaveI hope i say this right but many many years ago the original artists that produced the classics were i am sure seen as you now see yourself. Like Ronn said outside the box, or is it simply new growth. like the wright brothers witht the first plane and now rockets to the moon. i think if you think you have to create what has come before what will ever be new and stretching the horizons, is where all new creativity awaits, its for those bold enough to reach for it. whew i thought i was heading towards to boldly go, well you know the star trek thing. i hope you get what i am trying to say. All the best Paul

Just keep tying the flies you love and keep showing them to the rest of us bumblers. If you do that, you'll be happy and so will all of us who so enjoy your work, even if we can't (or, in the case of some of the other wizards of this group, choose not to) emulate it.

Leigh

Gotz,

What the heck are you talking about? Are you saying you are a gay, disco dancing freestyle fly tier? I mean, there's nothing wrong with that buddy, to each his own, but dang. Kind of abrupt, don't you think??

I'm only kidding!! I hope everyone's sense of humor is correct here. Or maybe I'm not funny.......either way. No offense, just a poke!!

I get what you are saying. Here's the scoop, do what makes the Gotz happy. I'm gonna parrot what everyone else said, keep doing your thing, man. If you don't like the classics, I/we don't expect to see another from you. Will it make any difference? Absolutely not. I'm still gonna say, "Holy s*#%, that's a wicked fly!!" whether it's a Namsen or a Tiny Dancer. ROCK ON, GOTZ!!! -Jamie

My humble advice is not to be so hard on yourself, Dave. In the end you only have yourself to please. And

after all, all we are doing is lashing feathers, fur, and silk to tempered steel hooks.

Whether we prefer to follow the past master's patterns and methods, or strike out on our own (or use

elements of each), the bottom line is to tie a fly that is well crafted, visually appealing, and balanced.

You always fill the above criteria in a most creative way, and if you did it to gain acceptance, you succeeded.

Why do any of us post our work? Acceptance is always a part of it. Sharing something we have a passion

for is another part.

It sounds like you just came to a fork in the road and decided which way to go. Good. Now get back to vise,

please. :D

Dave,

I'd enjoy your flies if all you tied were pink and chartreuse Woolly Bugger variations -- your flies are THAT good! So relax and create and enjoy yourself. I'll be waiting for your creations with bated breath.

All the best,

John

ok Dave, heres goes the shameful bash. tie what you enjoy tying and don't worry what others think of your work. after all, did you get into this to please anyone but yourself? you need to ask yourself that question with some serious thought to it. i'm going to be real blunt about this.

i don't give a rats ass what anyone would think about my tying. if some say they don't like it then so be it. if some like it fine. i agree with Mikes statement that we are here for some form of recongnition and acceptance but thats not all theres is to it. we also help each other so much and push each other to new boundries. we're a family here and all friends. though i would be taken back abit if someone said i couldn't tie a fly i would move on and put it behind me and continue what i've always done and thats tie because i enjoy doing it. i could easily never post another fly here again beginning today . i could easily never show another person anything i tie and it wouldn't bother me at all. after all, i do this for me and no one else. i enjoy the compliments i get on my flies. i'm sure we all do but understand that in the same post i make of a new fly i may also be helping someone and i know this and this has more meaning for me. when i get PM's and emails and replys on flies i've posted asking how you did this and how you did that, thats where the enjoyment begins because i can write to those asking with answers that may help them along. i'm grateful to everyone for posting on my flies. it inspires and pushes you to do better but it's not the root of me posting to begin with. it's a little of everything and everyone here who have a same interest.

we all have our time to shine in the light then we have to know when it's time to sit back and watch and help others achieve that goal. what you may not realize is not only your work beautiful but more importantly educational to everyone here and i would bet each and every person here can say they have looked at your work and gone away with something to think about. i'll say this with no regret, you are not a fly tier anymore but a teacher of fly tying . you bring so much to the table here on the forum . do what you do best and keep teaching, keep inspiring

we all get those brain farts also about our tying. we all go thru those up and down periods where theres no ambition to tie or move forward with new ideas. i do some very difficult patterns at times then i move to easier things when the farts arrive. i like trying new things and as Matt mentioned. i've tied a few classics lately ( teaching myself decipline ) but that would never lead me to tying those dang buggers for very long. i'm already done with them until the next fart arrives and smells up the place. maybe in the future i can master all the types of flies there are to tie but until then i keep throwing out a nice fly and farts in between. we all go thru this . not every fly can be a masterpiece

who cares if you tied a married wing fly or a classic? we all do because again we walk away with something from your skills. i agree with the statement that you could tie a wolly bugger and i would still look at it. don't be so hard on yourself, i think you need to find another frame of mind and give yourself credit for inspiring so many here. we all feed on each others ideas here and theres nothing wrong with that. after all, thats what friends are for right? after somerset you'll go home with so many things in your head you won't know which way to turn.

until then, you can fart here. your among friends and well, we fart in front of friends and i'm not accepting any appoligies from you for feeling you may have strayed off course ( or farted ) you need to accept that what you might find of a lesser quality ( flies you might have tied) others might find beautiful. i beat myself up alot about this in the past but i've learned not all my farts smell like roses.

you can stand next to me and fart anytime, i don't mind, i'm a friend

Bud

You sure know how to stink up a room Bud!!!! :blink: :hyst: Roses...........? Nae................skunk cabbage!!!! :rolleyes:

Dave,

I read your post this morning. It sounds like you've become confused, frustrated and just plain mad at yourself. Do not beat yourself up over such trivial things. If it's the freestyle you like then go for it. If it's the classics go for it. Or mix it up a bit. This is a hobby to be enjoyed- not a hobby that makes you miserable. Stand back for a minute and look at the flies you've tied. There is something about everyone that made your day. As far as posting simply for compliments- well, sometimes that may not be all wrong. Sometimes we just need a little help getting back on the road to recovery. I guess what i'm trying to say is- don't sweat the small stuff. These things will work themselves out. Before you know it you'll be that fly tying maniac once again. By the way your flies flies are exceptional and deserve all the praise given. ;)

Scott

Dave, you be Dave. what ever you tie is a pleasure to see. :headbang: :headbang:

Bud, a first ... fly tying and farting, I guess it's not that far from fly tying and art. :hyst:

ok I maybe stepping out of my boundries here but I am going to say this anyways. I tie fishing flies to catch fish PERIOD. I started tying buggers, adams,coachmans you know the classic fish catchers. till one day I seen my dad on the river not catching anything and a guy following him hammering bows on a fly that looked like nothing I had ever seen before rubber legs foam body silicon skin and some green hair. Thankfully the guy was a real gentleman and gave me the recipe and one of his flies I went to the fly shop with my dad the next day and for the first time ever I bought some non natural materials went home and tied a few of them flies then got bit by a whole new bug all together.

Now I tie with whatever makes the fish bite and yet I'm still a fly tier.

Before you started Fly fishing you were a dare I say a bait fisherman and you were happy doing it. Then somehow you got your hands on a flyrod and the rest is history. Your not being a sellout for trying something new. I've seen and admired your works of art weather its a classic or what I consider to be a new classic or as you guys call freestyles. I'm sure you will get your head straightened out and get back to tying them works of art. So don't kick your butt to hard its hard to tie standing up. And just remember the classics were freestyles at one point in time.....

Sign in to follow this