Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MiSt

#4 Kalkkisten Vaalea

Hi folks!

Bought some 1920's vintage hooks from the BFFI and had to give them a go. Promised Charlie Davidson a fly so I thought it might just as well be something very Finnish. I decided to tye one of the oldest known Finnish petterns called the Kalkkisten Vaalea which would be something like the Light Kalkkinen in English. Kalkkinen is a famous club rapid on the Kymi river system. The fishing club is the oldest in the Nordic countries. The rapid was a place to catch those enormous lake run brown trouts which would go all the way to 22lb and even more - mad isn't it!

The originator of Kalkkisten Vaalea is unknown but it's birth took place round the time of World War I or a few years earlier. Some British gentlemen were visiting bank manager Wasastjerna at the Kalkkinen rapids to do some fishing. Mr Wasastjerna gave the British gentlemen samples of some early season flies (insects) to be put into a form of a fishing fly in London. However there are written information about the pattern possibly been created by some elderly Finnish fisherman before 1910. The fly to imitate was a light coloured 1,5-2cm in length. The hatches were really dense which makes me to believe that it was some caddis species. According to some written information the caddis was the Large Cinnamon Sedge.

So Kalkkisten Vaalea was created by some British fly tyer (could be the Hardy bros since I've come to understand that the fly has been in their catalogs - anyone know about this?) and sent to Finland to Mr Wasastjerna. They also created a darked version of the fly called the Kalkkisten Tumma (Dark Kalkkinen) to imitate another darker insect hatching late summer.

Kalkkisten Vaalea

Tail: Game Red cock hackle tips back to back

Rib: Oval or flat Gold

Body: Yellow silk and pale green silk

-hackle: Game red cock

Collar: Game red cock

Wing: Light mottled turkey

Kalkkisten Tumma

Tail: Game Red cock hackle tips back to back

Rib: None (or Oval Gold)

Body: Black silk

-hackle: Game red cock

Collar: Game red cock

Wing: Dark Grey (or dark mottled turkey)

Original Wallenius's books pics of the two flies can be seen here.

The tye itself is not that good but I had fun tying it. I should really improve my photography... :unsure:

Hope you like.

post-4194-1194732649_thumb.jpg

Nice little fly. I love the barb on that hook and the fact that this was a pattern fished with the history you described makes it even better!

Hei Mikko, great fly! However, I suppose this fly is created during the World War, not the second. The pattern is described in Wallenius´s book published in 1923. Will we see the dark version as well?

:headbang:

Thankx a lot for the history lesson and the wonderful fly. It's a BUTE! You tyed it VERY well. mark..... B)

Sign in to follow this