Fly Tying

Hatches Feedback

I think that most of what I was thinking has been said. A nice mix of different types of flies. Personally, one article on history and art flies is plenty for me. The full dress segment is probably less than 5% of all tyers. The John Ridderbos article speaks to me. Flies that catch fish. Any time your authors can talk about how they fish a fly that is also quite helpful. Nice work!

The secret to success is excellence. If you do a job well you will reap many rewards for it, the least of which might be financial. I think you have a great magazine and perhaps the only thing it needs is marketing. What I have read in the magazine reveals the author's passion for their pursuit, which is often times lacking in magazine articles. I also like the idea of writing an article that covers a large portion of the details of it's subject and not limiting the article to a certain number of words or pages in the magazine. I think the detail in the articles is what makes the premier issue something that people enjoy and will go back to time and again, and then purchase the next issue. I think magazines can get "burned out" in the sense that they once they have a following they simply publish the sizzle and reap the profits, so the magaizne goes into a downhill slide. Some bullet points to sum up my thoughts;

- continue with some variety in the articles that will appeal to a variety of tyers

- use authors that are passionate about their tying

- try not to limit the length of an article, so that it can go into whatever detail the author believes it needs. (this may require editorial judgement) The main reason for this is so that the reader understands how the author is accomplishing the task and why he is doing it in a particular way. Although their are many different ways to accomplish the same task and the readers may have their own style, it is still of great benefit to know exactly why it is being done in a certain way.

The next time I go to my local fly shop I will take the magazine along; I am pretty sure they would stock their shelves with it, and sell a bunch.

It's been a while since I've posted here, But on this topic I do have something to say.

I read constantly not just fishing, but other stuff as well, a lot of magazines and my only negative thing about "Hatches" is its a annual and I want MORE!

Great Job Will.

Bill

I never cared much for artistic tying. I like to tye what I'm gonna throw. After reading your mag it gave me a diffrent perspective and a whole new outlook on it.

All in all some good and informative reading.

I pre-ordered Hatches, my money was accepted and I waited patiently for delivery. Then when it was released my money was refunded! No explanation! Very disappointed.

Will,

I work at FlyMasters of Indianapolis and we received a copy when it first came out, I assume as a promotion. I took it home and came in the next day ordered a dozen copies. Our first batch arrived and half of them were gone in two days. The rest followed within the week. I ordered 18 more and half of those are already gone. I teach all the tying classes at the shop and knew these would be great for all of our tiers. Each class I teach I have a copy to show people. This magazine has excellent information for all levels. I refer to it in my beginning classes as well as intermediate and advanced classes all the time.

There are three things about the publication I think make it great (and why I enjoy promoting it). First the photos are phenomenal! Fantastically clear and easy to see just what the author is doing. Second, the articles are well written, to the point and bestow confidence in the author. You can understand them well and believe that the author knows what they are talking about. Third, the step by step instructions are perfect. Having tied for many years, many times when I an faced with a new pattern I can "figure out" how it is tied (or at least fudge some) to get the end results. However, I remember back when I was just starting and the instructions in books did not even match up with the poorly drawn pictures. Major frustrations! Between the step by step instructions and the text provided, beginning and expert alike will have no problems following along.

One other note, I thought the editing of the magazine was great. A big pet peeve of mine in reading books and magazines is editing. It really grates my nerves when I see simple typos and grammatical errors in published material. It means someone did not care about the quality of their publication. You see it everyday, especially in e-mails. However, in reading hatches you can tell it was picked over with a fine tooth comb. It makes it more enjoyable to read.

Thank you very much for a wonderful magazine and teaching tool.

Ian Anderson (Olórin)

P.S. the qaulity of the magazine is quite reflected in this site (or is that the other way around since the site came first :D ). The folks who post here are very knowledgable and care about sharing that knowledge.

I liked it. All of the articles were good. The photographs were excellent.

I will be trying some married wings in the near future.

Keep the format. Wish it happened a little more often, but the amount of work must be huge.

Crappie

I have been tracking the mags progress for months and have been looking into getting a sub sent here to New Zealand - although it is very reasonable in it's price - i just cannot afford it as the conversion from$US to $NZ is more than i can afford. it looks a fantastic publication - well done indeed.

i am very disappointed, but an invalid's benefit does not stretch that far i'm afraid :(

will just have to read what i can online.

Jeanne

Jeanne,

Post or PM me with your address and a copy will be in the mail to you next week. I'm posting here and PMing you right now.

Ray