Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishaholic69

1st dry fly! looks ok but...

post-12314-1195247827_thumb.jpgpost-12314-1195247836_thumb.jpgpost-12314-1195247845_thumb.jpghey just got some dry capes in the mail. brown and black. I used brown and followed the directions for the basic dry fly on anglers online. just used hackle fibers for tail, brown dry fly super fine dubbing. and brown hackle for the hackle/wing. heres some pix!. looks okay but floats for like 10 seconds and sinks? i think I need more turns of hackle for the wing or something? heres the pix anyways . I just made one so I can figure out how to get um to float. used a size 12 dry fly hook also.

I can't really tell from the pic but it looks like the hackle you used might be oversized a bit which shouldnt matter, the hackle also looks like its to webby to be used on a dry fly but that doesnt mean that the whole cape is bad you meght have picked a wrong feather.

I don't have a hackle guage so I kinda guessed. I also kinda used the middle of the feather to tie. there was still a good 1 or 2 inches of feather left after I made the wraps. maybe I should of took a lil more off the bottom and used the top part of the feather instead?next time I will try to make it smaller hackle also. this cape was one of the 3 keough capes I recieved. I am using the one with no package. maybe its not a keough? its a lil smaller than the other 2 capes I got with it. a lady thats didn't know anything about fishing sold um and she said she thought the unpackaged one was the same. it kinda looks the same its just a few inches smaller and not as nice as the other 2 a lil less stiff. I used this just to practice tho so I don't waste the nice looking ones. if its not good enough I will use it for hackle on zugbugs and prince nymphs and stuff.

post-12314-1195253411_thumb.jpgpost-12314-1195253400_thumb.jpgjust made a black dry fly or midge pattern. used the keouth this time and ya i see the stiffness is way more!!! thats cool tho cause I got the black and brown ones of those. heres the pic of the midge. wonder if it will float? looks better and the hackle is smaller too. hardest part was getting the hackle for the tail to stay in a lil pinch so i could tie it on. . kept coming apart. anyways heres the pix.

the black one floats way longer! for 10 min at least I took it out before it sank.! but if it lands hard it sinks. I think my problem is the thread I am using! its 210 danville its too thick and heavy prolly.. I need 6/0 thread asap. I am gonna get me some

Fish,

Historically, Catskill dries have been tied with a hackle that is 1 and 1/2 times the hook's gape. The tail should be the length of the hook shank (from the back of the eye to the start of the bend) and the dubbed body should be half the shank, while the hackle and wing make up the other half to the head. Hope that makes sense. Good first ties!!! You're a natural! Keep practicing. It's just like any other craft. The more you tie, the better you'll get. Tie one dozen of those black midge patterns. Look at the first 3 and the last 3, you'll see a major difference in just those and that'll be your first dozen!!! Keep rockin'!!! -Jamie Daly

ok thanks for the tips and comments! I tried to used 1 and a half times the gap and seemed to get close with the midge pattern compared to the 1st brown. so where do you guys get the hackle material from to use for the tail? I was just using the fibers from the same feather that I used to wrap the flys front with but its hard to keep um all togther. also I just ordered 10 spools of danville 6/0 for 11 bux. all the good colors are in it. . hopefully this helps them float! At least I got all winter to perfect um since theres not too many bugs out now. hopefully by then I can make some royal wulffs or something more complicated. but for now I need to get better at the simple ones.

I apologize for the terrible drawing. I tie flies just a little better than I draw. Anyways, I hope you get the idea. Tailing comes from the feathers located on the outer edges of the cape, from the mid point of the cape down. It is longer barbs, but still has a good stiffness to it. I hope this crude crap helps........ -Jamie Daly

Cape_PicHAHAHA.bmp

fishaholic69

If your fly is floating 10 minutes and you haven't treated it with floatant you are doing something right! Keep up the good work. BTW I generally use 8/0 thread for sizes 12-20 dry flies. And 10/0, 12/0, 14/0 or cobweb for smaller.

thanks guys I will keep a look out for smaller threads. for now the 6/0 will have to do. should of maybe asked 1st before I bought the 6/0 haha. the recipe said 6/0 or 10/0. ya it actually floated for along time. like I said it was in the sink and I didn't cast it in there just set it in there. hey james nice pic! I see what parts you mean. thanks for the help on that. I will make a couple more when I get the lighter thread and post some pix!

fishaholic

I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with using 6/0 thread on dry flies! One should always use the largest thread practical for the job to be done. I think many of us are guilty of using 8/0 when 6/0 would do a better job: The 6/0 is stronger and requires fewer wraps to cover the same distance. It is also less likely to cut the material tyed in (especially deer, elk and moose hair.)