Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

Cellire

Hi Guys,

I've got a couple bottles of Cellire here that has thickened, what would you suggest I use to thin it back out?

Thanks in Advance.

Damian.

Damian,

I am using TOLUOL, a fast drying cleaner solvent for industrial paint finishes. You can buy it at your local Home hardware Store. Why? Because Cellire containts Toluene.

Don't add to much and it has to be stir.

Jacques

Toluene? All dem lovely carcenogenic fumes!

Actually you can get cellire thinners by Veniard.

However personally I'd take both bottles and gently carry them out the back door and then carefully lift the lid of your trash can and chuck em in - then buy some more (it's about $2 a bottle over here for heaven's sake!) - or better still get some of the thin sally hansen off ebay.

Dave

Dave,

I hear you...but here in Atalntic Canada, finding Cellire is not easy. For 5$, a bottle of Toluol can help you keeping our bottles of Cellire in goor workng order. For me, any other head ciment is out of question.

Jacques

Dave,

I hear you...but here in Atalntic Canada, finding Cellire is not easy. For 5$, a bottle of Toluol can help you keeping our bottles of Cellire in goor workng order. For me, any other head ciment is out of question.

Jacques

I used to use Cellire exclusively myself - but came across the cheapo ebay SH by accident - it's much thinner than standard and is great for sealing the head prior to blacking and top coating with a thick SH.

Otherwise if you are ticking with Cellire from a traditionalist point of view -then don't forget that it's a relatively modern varnish itself - you should be using a shellac (sanding sealer or french polish) - which coz it's ultra fast drying is actually great stuff.

Dave

Damian : Go to your local "Home Hardware Store" and pick up a one litre tin of lacquer thinner , cost about $6 CDN . You'll have a lifetimes' supply then . Bryant Freeman of New Brunswick recommended it to me a couple of years back and it does work very well on Cellire........Frank

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I get my Cellire from Bryant, and like Jacques said, not easy to come by. I'll take your suggestions and see what happens, might even pick up a bottle of SH to try out.

Sign in to follow this