Fly Tying
flyline64

Water Resistant Digital Camera

Does anyone have any recommendations for a small, water resistant digital camera for taking fishing photos?

I'm looking for something that would be safe to put in my vest while fishing, without fear of a little water destroying it. (I realize only a true waterproof camera would survive an actual dunking.)

Also, would like one that will take decent photos of flies.

Thanks.

Look at an Olympus 770 or a 720. I have a 770 and love it . If you want to see wjat a 720 video looks like underwater go to www.lrsa.org/ look at the stocking video

Check out the Pentax Optio W series, i have the W20, they compact, waterproof and take pretty good pictures, including macro shots

Check out the Pentax Optio 33WR . They're not made anymore but you'll see one on Ebay from time to time ........Frank

Check the Olympus WS... something or other... that's the one I have and really like it alot for most any situation out there it has a great macro mode and shoots really nice pics and is waterproof to 30ft and shockproof to 5ft.

Ok found it on their site it is the Stylus 770 SW... shockproof to 5ft. waterproof to 33ft. 2.5" hypercrystal LCD screen freeze proof to -10c or 14f... what ever hypercrystal is???? Ya got me anywho here is the link to their site and the camera I have http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/...sp?product=1287 give it a look. I thnk for 320 bucks that I paid for it was a great deal.

Steve

Look at the Pentax Optio W series. Great little water/dust proof camera that takes good macro's of flies and it can survive a dunk. takes underwater pics and movies if you want. All at a good price around 200-250$

My brother and i both carry one now as our fishin camera.

Yet another vote for the Pentax Optio series. I've been using the 43WR for several years now and I think it's great. This model is not made anymore but you can probably find one on ebay. This is the last model they made before they started "improving" them in the downward direction (like ditching the viewfinder).

Pentax Optio series is great and my choice for limited wet use. Also remember...it does not float so use the wrist strap over water. I use the Canon series of P&S cameras that have an underwater case specifically designed for them. Here is a link to their info: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html

The case is a bit bulkier, but can go 130ft for diving and protects the camera better. The case costs about $150 over the camera cost. I also keeps sand out of the lens cover which can jamb in a beach setting.

post-9742-1195916164_thumb.jpg

I've been looking into this, too, and am going with the Optio. It's in lots of stores for about $200 and is just the right size for a fly vest. My family plans to use it for camping, hiking, canoeing, fishing, etc.

We already have one very nice Sony point and shoot digital, but would like to have an outdoorsy one that we don't have to fret over so much.

Pentax Optio series is great and my choice for limited wet use. Also remember...it does not float so use the wrist strap over water.

I have mine attached to a zinger on my chest pack and keep it tucked in the top of my waders