Fly Tying
siestafred

Best Saltwater 8Wt Rod ???

I've been using a St. Croix Ultra Legend for some years now for my Florida flats fishing, and I'm thinking about a new (and better) rod. As the old saying goes, "if I don't spend my money to go 1st class, my kids will."

What would be your preference at the top end ?

Orvis Zero Gravity?

Scott X2s?

SageXi2?

Other?

:dunno:

Sage Xi2 are very nice I have all of them 6-9wts.

I love them. They really have alot of lifting power and the punch to put a big fly into the wind.

Oh yeah and the scotts aren't bad either.

I love the zero g. Worth every penny! I cant afford one now but working at an orvis shop gave me pleanty of chances to throw one. I use an Orvis TLS Power Matrix 908-4 and it has really been a great rod for me.

Whyat about a TFO Healing Waters 8WT? It's similar to a TiCr as far as action plus the vets get $25 donated from the sale of the rod.

Mike

I've gotten to cast the new Orvis Helios and would wait for it if you're sold on Orvis however the Winston rod is the "best" I've cast so far

For a saltwater rod - especially a fairly light one like an 8wt - you need to consider not only how it casts but also how it fights fish.

My personal favorite is the G.Loomis Crosscurrent.

Just comparing it to a Zero G (other rods I've cast but I was able to fish the Zero G) - the Orvis rod has a nicer cast, you can feel the load through the entire blank - the Loomis rod carries the load in the tip. The big difference is when a fish is on the Loomis rod really allows you to put the screws to him moreso that the Orvis. Makes a big difference for big fish, or fish in fast currents.

Get what you like but it is something to consider.

Haven't cast but one of the rods & that was being a "field tester" with a Zero G 4 piece #8 weight tip-flex. Thought if there was another rod to have in addition to the Orvis T-3 #9 weight, this was it. As light in the hand as an old Orvis #6 weight Trident. Held about 50 feet of line in the air just false casting with the backcast into the wind (deliberately) & double hauled another 30' with ease. If it weren't for the wind I'd have seen how much heft was left in the butt of the rod ! B)

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm not yet ready for a decision, but it's been enlightening comparing the different rods, and learning more about what makes one different from the others. It seems there are several trade-offs between lifting power, forgiveness, rod response and weight (lightness of feel).

San Juan, interestingly someone else (who is a superb saltwater fly fisherman) just this morning recommended the Loomis CrossCurrent GLX Saltwater to me as a somewhat forgiving rod (compared to Sage) that is fast but still that has very good feel through the whole rod and has great lifting power.

I'm hoping to be able to test a couple of these next weekend.

Fred

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how does the Scott A2 do in the salt? I've only caught 12"-14" Striper on it in the Ohio River.

I'm gonna have to find a fly shop to hit up here in the Savannah area so I can tie some shrimp patterns. I'd love to try it out! I'm antsy to try it out on some Trout and Reds!

If you're going to keep your options open, you might want to also look at the Loomis Pro-1 GLX. It is a one piece rod that gets very good reviews down here in FL. The Pro-1 is slightly slower than the standard Crosscurrent GLX - but still on the very fast end of the rod spectrum. I've been using a #8 St. Croix Legend Ultra for the past 8 years and the next rod I will get is the Pro-1. I've casted several of them and liked the castability. Add that to the feedback I've heard from a number of hardworking backcountry guides and it seems like a good deal at $405 +/-

John

I used to be a Sage guy until I got my T&T Horizion II 9wt. A cannon . Give them a test cast you might like them. They are fast rods and if your into a slower rod try the Helix by T&T. FishHawk

I use a Loomis GLX, not the CrossCurrent model. It's a two piece, so it would be cumbersome to fly with, i suppose, but it casts better for me than any other 8 wt i've tried. I've got their Pro 1 in a 12 wt and really like it, but i haven't tried it in the 8.

You guys should try a Colton. New rod company from a guy who guided the Susqy for years and is also a very good SW flyfisherman/tyer. I bought one of his 8wts earlier this year, very, very nice. Also bought one of his reels. Price/performance is very good. He doesnt have his web site up yet for rods and reels but you can get info from here.

http://www.anglersedgemarine.com/content.a...;cpid=4906&

I have TFOs of just about every size, from 2wt to 12wt, for fresh to salt. TFOs are not the most expensive, just the best, so save some money and fish with a great rod. Match those with Waterworks-Lamson ULA Force or ULA P Series reels and you've got winners all the way!

I'm really not trying to be a wise-off; I love those TFO rods and the WaterworkLamson reels. I have won two Sage Z Axis rods, $650.00 to $670.00 dollar rods, both 5wt, and another even more expensive Sage saltwater rod, around $680.00 or $690.00. I've got all three of them sitting in their sleeves and tubes and have never fished them. I've had them three to four months and plan to sell them. Like I said, I like my TFOs!

Ray