Fly Tying
Tybugs1

Camera's

One lens I would get with the 40D is 17-85mm. Reason being, it's equivalent to 27-136mm. The photo guy told me, he didn't understand how they did this, but they did.

The EFS 17-85 IS is equivalent to 27-136 because of the Canon's 1.6 crop factor. Multiply 17 and 85 by 1.6 respectively. I wouldn't say it's equivalent, it's just pre-cropped compared to if the image sensor was a full frame.

The 70-300mm will be "equivalent" with a 112-480mm.

I have both of these lenses, BTW, and they are very nice. I wish the 70-300mm did not have external focusing, but I don't use a polarized filter, so no biggie for me.

The crop factor on most Nikon DSLR's is 1.5.

As for Canon to Nikon body comparisons, you may notice that they kind of interweave their price points. The Nikon D40 and D50 are less than the Canon Rebel XTI is less than the Nikon D80 is less than the Canon 40D is less than the Nikon D300 is less than the Canon 5D is less than the Nikon D3 is less than the Canon 1DMKIII/1DsMKIII.

Holy cow Troutgeek, that was a lot of info, and I actually got it lol. Thanks for explaining the crop factor on the Canon, now it makes since.

Ashby

Another thing to keep in mind with EF-S lenses is that they are not compatable with with 1D bodies. May/probably not be an issue but the day I bought my 1D I had to sell my 17-85.

Ty, there are only a couple of lenses on the market that will cover "most" of what you name. One being the Canon 100-400L and another being the Sigma 50-500. While they are great versatile lenses, they have their downsides as well. One being weight.

My bag when I carry it to the river weighs in the neiborhood of 20pds.

Body and spare batty :app 5pds

400mm: 3pds

180: 2pds

Assorted other lenses another 5pds

Odds and ends: another 2

Tripod/monopod another 3 to 5

Its an exhausting workout. With just my 400mm mounted its 8pds. Grab an 8pd weight and hold it up to your eye for awhile.

The beauty of DSLRs is that ideally you pick a lens for the job.

So at some point you want a goto lens for *each* of those applications.

When your starting off theres a couple ways to appoach it. The best imo is to identify which "application" hold the most interest for you and target a lens for that application. Other lenses will come in time.

Another thing to keep in mind with EF-S lenses is that they are not compatable with with 1D bodies. May/probably not be an issue but the day I bought my 1D I had to sell my 17-85.

Ty, there are only a couple of lenses on the market that will cover "most" of what you name. One being the Canon 100-400L and another being the Sigma 50-500. While they are great versatile lenses, they have their downsides as well. One being weight.

My bag when I carry it to the river weighs in the neiborhood of 20pds.

Body and spare batty :app 5pds

400mm: 3pds

180: 2pds

Assorted other lenses another 5pds

Odds and ends: another 2

Tripod/monopod another 3 to 5

Its an exhausting workout. With just my 400mm mounted its 8pds. Grab an 8pd weight and hold it up to your eye for awhile.

The beauty of DSLRs is that ideally you pick a lens for the job.

So at some point you want a goto lens for *each* of those applications.

When your starting off theres a couple ways to appoach it. The best imo is to identify which "application" hold the most interest for you and target a lens for that application. Other lenses will come in time.

That is a lot of wieght to carry around for sure. I most of my work from a power boat stillwater fly fishing. So most of the time wieght would not be a factor and I can keep it dry fairly well. I wanted to start off with at least one good lense or maybe two and work from there. Thats why Graham suggested the Nikon 18mmby200 VR lense if I went Nikon.

I'm still researching and enjoying the search. All of you guys have been real helpful and is apprectiated.

Not sure how to upload pictures but if folks want to go to our web site you can see on the front page at least one of my pitcures. It wasn't taken with an DSLR but it will give you all at least an idea of what kind of stuff I'm talking about. I can show some others if someone can tell me how to upload pictures.

web site www.bsflies.com

thanks again