Fly Tying
Brinx

Rotary Seized Up!

Again ,the customer paid good money to get a good product . The customer shouldn't have to kiss your butt just to have you back up your product . That should be your obligation to create customer satifaction. It should be your job to do everything possible to make the customer happy even if it means that you have to honor your own advertising claims and warratys. 'nough said... Like I said several times , I like the product just not the customer appreaciation. bash me if you'd like but, know that all customers are not treated the same. Who knows maybe Lily was just having a bad week. But, they didn't have to grind the jaws down when I told them I wanted to show the photograph of them on the internet did they? I would've gladly accepted some type of reduced rate on the new jaws. there were a lot of options open to them but, they didn't go there. When you're in business , it's all about customer appreaciation.

Longears,

If you want to think that I was directing any of what I said at you personally you can. Nothing that I said was intended that way and I am sorry you took it that way. I was speaking in regards to the past 8 years of my working life and trying to give anyone who was interested a view from the flip side of the coin. Hopefully a few tips on how to get what they feel they should in that situation were learned from what I said.

Everything said and done, if you owned your vise for a short period of time and only a few flies were tied on it, I agree with you. You should have been dealt a better deal. Depending on the factors involved in your situation you may have had a completely different experience if I had been on the other end of the phone rather than who was.

Regards,

I had my Traveler seize up 7-8 years ago and Renzetti repaired it free of charge. I purchased mine in the mid 90's. I am aware of others that have the same problem and a good customer service experience. I would love to know what causes this problem and if the design flaw has been fixed.

On 12/2/2007 at 7:23 PM, longears said:

When I asked Renzetti about their lifetime warranty , I was told that "nothing lasts forever"...

I just had the same useless conversation with Lilly Renzetti. She told me Renzetti excludes ordinary wear and tear from their supposed "lifetime warranty." In my case it was ten plus years on a cam lever. But she says it also tends to happen with the jaws, that after extended use they do tend to wear out. Some warranty!

Almost nobody will "lifetime" warranty wear and tear.  Even Snap-on will draw the line if the tool was obviously used incorrectly ... and you pay enough for two tools when you buy one anyway.

Lifetime warranties are for "manufacturers" defects or defects in material.  10 years ... pretty much proved neither of those were the issue.

The best practice for us consumers ... send it in with a letter explaining the usage and what is broken.  It is much easier for them to "good will" a replacement than to call you with a price, wait for you to agree and pay, and then to send it back.  Once you've made the call, they can turn you down on the phone and that is the easier choice.

Mike to some degree I agree with you about send product in with a letter to explain and maybe like you said they will good will the repair. But with Snap On Tools I can attest to the fact that they care of their hand tools I had a set of wrenches that I had over 30 years and I snapped the box end on one my fault I was double wrenching the dealer warranty out the wrench but it no longer matched my set the had changed the finish to a smoother finish and I told the dealer that I wanted a wrench that matches my set they no longer offer the old finish he called their area managers and had the dealer replace the whole set  now that is what I call fantastic service and warranty 

With every story like yours, there's others where Snap-on hasn't replaced.  I deal with dozens of techs a month, and most of them have less glowing stories.  But, with that said, Snap-on does a lot of good will replacements.  Especially if they think you're a long time customer ... hence the good experience with 30 year old wrenches.

In my opinion, Snap-on is a "buy-two-get-one" system.  Giving you a replacement is no big deal because you've already paid for the second tool.

FWIW, I lost a few small parts and springs in the field from a Shakespeare reel about 15 years ago.  I contacted them by phone about parts and service, and they sent me an envelope of parts in the mail (express mail I think), no questions asked--not even a receipt.  So that's my story about a relevant company that really impressed me.

Bill

Snowboarding companies are often like that Bill I've had a few that replaced parts no questions asked even if I told them I wasn't the original owner, I called my boot company once to see if there was any way I could just get new liners because my old ones were just worn out and told them that and they were 2 years out of warranty but I couldn't afford new ones,  she searched for some liners she thought they might have and mailed them to me for 10$.

I have an Inogen portable oxygen concentrator that I use while out of the house.
I was fishing at the nearby reservoir and took a spill completely immersing my concentrator.
I called them and even though I was at fault they sent me a new unit the next day at their expense.
Yes, it has a lifetime warranty for "normal" use and I have had it for a couple of years, but this is obviously not covered.
So instead having to spend another 3.5K, I got a new unit.

My apologies for adding to the "hijack" of this thread.

Kimo

I'm using TFOs warranty currently, teaching a friend how to fly fish in his pond and he snagged a backcast. He got all upset about it, I just handed him my other rod and he caught a bass on the next cast. 

On 12/2/2007 at 5:32 PM, Brinx said:

Hey everyone,

I have a really old Renzetti Traveler. I think I got it back in 1994. Been tying on it all this time. Yesterday I was tying at the Expo and late in the day the rotary seized up on me and it would not spin inside the hole through the post. Today I sprayed some WD-40 at both ends of the rotary rod both at the threaded end and on the jaws end as well as I took the little screw out that the post screws onto and sprayed some up in there. After applying the WD-40, with some EXTREME effort, I was able to manhandle about a 1/2 turn of rotary. Anyone else have this happen to them? Anyone have any advice. I believe there's supposed to be a lifetime warranty on all Renzetti's, right? Do you think I'm just gonna have to send it in to them and have them take care of it?

Thanks,

Brinx

WD-40 isn't the best thing to use. Kroil is.

brinx hasnt posted here since 2008

if others have the same problem see below

renzetti.jpg

if you loosen the screws near the handle, the head should spin freely

loosen the other thumb screw if your vise has it