Fly Tying

Hi I could use some help. I am having problem with body veiling sometime they will roll to far to the side of the hook I do use a soft loop for this and or I will get them in place but they seem to hug the body so close that they cover up the body section and hide the ribs. anything that you could share would be great. thanks James

Add a bend in the stem to make it stay off the body. The best way to make it stay in place is to hold in place until you can get a good wrap or two on it. Some materials just have more of a tendency to roll than others but you can cut the fibers rather than strip them off the rachis.

Hope this helps.

Trim the feather(s) more.....just sounds like you have to much/many fiber(s) on you feathers. It's amazing how few will do the trick. Trim, Trim, Trim.....then trim some more. That should do it. mark..... B)

try this too,

assuming that you're a right handed tyer...use the thumb nail of your RIGHT hand to hold the sten in place and your left hand to bring the thread aorund the stem waxed thread helps alot too

use a tweezer or needle nose plier to pinch, compress and , ( ted uses his nails, i bite mine so i have none) add a slight bend in the stem right at the point your tying it in, i prefer a noodle nose to flattenthe stem which reduces bulk also. this will lift the vieling at the tie in point so it doesn't sit over or against the body of the fly. hold the vieling in place and make two or three good wraps of thread to hold them in place. if they are slightly offset you can use a bodkin to straighten them out then make a few more wraps of thread to secure the vielings in place, Bud

Hey guys I have tryed these ideas on just a hook with a base of tread put on and use ring neck pheasant feathers and they seem to go evey where. I will set the bottom veiling and with two or three tight wraps and the set the top with the same and they will move on me and or cover the body to much. Help James

Hey, if Bud says so, it must be true! I'm off to my friendly local fine-cuisine and kitchen-appliances boutique in search of my first pair of noodle-nose pliers. What next? dubbing wax poutinesca?

try tying both on with one wrap...tie the top on first with turn of well waxed thread...set the bottom one in place unwrap 1/2 a turn then rewrap once more...then use a tweezers or your finger nails to push-sldie or adjust both into position then 1 more turn to set...three turns on one then three on the next could be your problem

Not all feathers have the same shape shafts. Try to determine what shape a crossection if the feather is AT the tie in point and then compress and twist as needed.

Just remember, IT CAN BE DONE so with that in mind, search out every little clue as to what it will take to tie on each feather so it stays in place. It may be as simple as thread direction or you tied the feather in with a turn of thread behind the flattend shaft. Others have done it and gone through the same "dues paying" process and you can too.

Try to pull the fibres behind of the point of tie in back and give them a layer of varnish qnd let it dry.

Mvh

Martin

post-3638-1197304385_thumb.jpg