Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SullyTM

My first Classic

post-3096-1196780462_thumb.jpg

Well, after admiring the flies in the Classic sections for the past year I decided to give one a try. I've always been relunctant to tie them :blink: I visited Ronn Lucas' website and he has some excellent tutorials. I had the materials for a Rusty Rat and gave it a try. After a couple more Rusty's I'll move on to Ronn's next fly.

Thanks to Ronn Lucas for his tutorials.

Suggestions are appreciated...

Later...

Hi Sully TM,

First, a Rusty Rat is not considered a classic salmon fly. Usually a classic is a featherwing and this one is a hairwing.

Did you use sword or herl for the tail? The pattern required sword and should be more full!

The body should be half floss and half herl. The third turn of tinsel should be over the veiling.

I like the floss work on the body.

The wing should have more hair.

Did you use hen or saddle for the collar. Hen looks better.

Here is a Rusty Rat, Restigouche style with two veiling.

post-1574-1196783999_thumb.jpg

Hi Jacques...My bad for calling it a Classic. There is no way I could tie a Classic! This post should probably be in the Salmon/Steelhead section?

I did not have sword and my local fly shop doesn't carry it. So I had to go with herl. Half floss and half herl? I'll have to refer back to Ronn's tutorial...Yes, I thought the wing looked thin. I used Grizzly saddle...Using floss is challenging. It took me 3 tries before it looked OK.

If I can locate some sword I'll tie up a couple more. I appreciate your comments and photo(excellent tie).

Later...

Thom

Nice tie sullyTM!!!

I like that pattern. there,s probably more than one deffinition or conotation for the word classic. I would call the rusty rat a classic pattern.

You've done a great job on that one.

Ronn's site is a great place to get tutorials. I tried the rusty rat last year with help from that site. It was alot of fun.

Keep em comin.

chris

Thanks, Chris...I agree with you about Ronn's site. His tutorials are easy to follow.

I'll fish this fly to see how it performs. Once I get some peacock sword(from J. Stockard) I'll tie one up for display.

Adios...

nice fly, and anyone, if they put their mind to it, can tie a classic featherwing, which explains me :)

SullyTM - excellent, I highly recommend continuing through the lessons. There are several new classic tyers working through the lessons over on the Classic & freestyle forum. Join em over there and you'll be part of the class of 2008! :headbang: :headbang:

The point of lesson 1 is to focus on the body, floss, tinsel, and proportions, without getting buried by a married wing etc. One thing to take note of is where your tinsel comes out on the first wrap ... look at the lesson and see where it should start.

Keep tying.

Nice RAT!

What Royce said. This pattern is all about floss and ribs as far as the lessons are concerned. Getting glass smooth floss on an untapered body takes some work to get right. Each lesson introduces a new technique/building block/foundation that once learned, will enable just about any tyer to tie fully dressed flies about as fast as can be. Not fast to tie a fly but fast to do fully dressed ones. There is no good reason to jump right in and try a complicated fully dressed fly without a good base of skills to work with. Sometimes it seem like a waste of time to tie these "simple" flies but the payoff will be dramatic. Your floss looks good but could be smoother. I think your underbody is lumpy.

Back to this fly. I agree, more hair in the wing and I prefer it unstacked personally. Gives a more natural mottled look on a working fly. And, I like the look. Your rib. It looks like you just used the tag end of the tip for the rib. NOT good! It just doesn't work and everyone looking at the fly that knows how to tie these, will see it. If you didn't, just consider this a sub note to remember if the urge to do it comes upon you. It did me and I dare bet most every other tyer at some point. If you were tying the General Practitioner per Pryce-Tannatt you could get away with it because it is what is called for sorta.

If you need some Peacock sword, let me know and I will send you some. The head looks very good. The herl section as mentioned is too short. I can live with half & half. Hackle could be webbier for this kind of fly but you aren't tying these to fish with ........even if you were, this would probably work as well. It is just that we are accustomed to seeing webby hackle on RATs.

Looking good so far though!!! :headbang:

J.Z., day5, royce, Ronn...Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Attention to detail is something I'll focus on as I move forward. The rib is a separate piece of tinsel...I just didn't start the palmer correctly and as soon as I ties it off I realized the error ;)

Looks like I have some work ahead of me :D

Ronn, I sent you a PM.

Later...

Thom

Ronn's site

Select How to dress Salmon flies from the menu on the left, you'll get a page with 7 different lessons that step you through the foundations / building blocks. Spend the time to go through the lessons in order ... I speak from experience. :headbang:

Sign in to follow this