Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
thursodog

Duhram Ranger

post-11463-1196882748_thumb.jpg

Hi folks it been a while and as u can seei am very rusty! All comments welcome.

Chris.

Do you tye left handed? Doesn't appear that your that rusty to me. Tag is a bit short. Head needs work. But it's a very nice tye. mark..... B)

T-dog:

There are so many things that are "right "with your work that to call it crap is just plain wrong. Granted, the tippets are a bit too large...and after that...so goes the balance. The colors you chose are rich and harmonious, the throat is excellent as is your side. The body work looks swell, albeit there is plenty of errant barbs in your body hackle. Yep...tie more my friend and then you can commensurate with me when you want to bash yourself even more...I am an expert at that

dg

Apart from the garbage hook that's ruining your proportions, an overlong throat (largely the fault of the cack hook) and too short JC there's not a lot wrong with it if you ask me.

Take them A&H hooks - carry them carefully to the dustbin and gently lower them in.

Dave

I would have to agree with mr. Carne on this one! Try to get hold of some nice hooks, that will help you in nailing the proportions perfect! :D

I would also have set the horns a little lower, and try to find some GP feathers with a slight natural curve in them!

You have some magnificent bodywork going on here!!

-Andreas

Hi Chris,

Like everyone has said your fly is really well tyed, I'm not a great fan of a H.A myself. The hook sometimes makes the fly, there's nothing better than tying on a well shaped and proportioned hook materials seem to fit much better.

Well done.....

All the best Davie

I agree with most of what was said already. Tag looks great for a vintage look and all the head needs are a few coats of head cement. The wing/tai/topping convergence are near perfect. The tippet wing flies are harder to tie than one might think.

nice tie, more cement, and i like to use some more JC, but i do like it. Also, what does A and H stand for in A&H hooks?

nice tie, more cement, and i like to use some more JC, but i do like it. Also, what does A and H stand for in A&H hooks?

Adlington and Hutchinson - it's a hook pattern made by Partridge - anyway another one of their's that misses the mark in loads of areas unfortunately.

Dave

I like the fly. I hope to see more from you in the future. Not as much wrong with this fly as you seem to see.

i would use those hooks for my fishing flies...

Now what the hell am i gonna do with all my A&H hooks. OH! i know.........tye on 'em. :hyst: Maybe it'll be a challange to see what can be done with such a piece of crap. :hyst: Kinna like bein' on the road with just your stick bag and cymbals. Cause the frickin' promoter, and the bookin' agent were in bed together one night and decided to screw the drummer and not cover the overweight on this particular tour. :rolleyes: "Ah, just let the club owners find him somethin'." All you guys out there that aint got the money for good hooks, do NOT be discouraged. And don't let nobody tell you your flies suck because of it. Your payin' your dues and i respect that. Keep up the GREAT work. mark..... B) p.s. LOVE that throat..... ;)

Sign in to follow this