Fly Tying
Harold Ray

The youngest FTF members and Classic Salmon Flies

I've got four young grandchildren, from three years to seven at this time, who I am trying to tempt into flytying and fishing, along with kayaking and backpacking. I figure they can be my companions on trips and "expeditions" as they and I grow older. Whatever I collect, they will get years from now. If I keep going like I am now, they should have a pretty good collection one of these days, plus its loads of fun for me.

Right now, Elizabeth, who is the oldest at seven, tied her first fly, a scud, when I was with her and her four year-old sister, Rebecca, at Thanksgiving. Although Rebecca didn't tie, they both had a blast, and they loved the Classic Salmon flies on FlyTyingForum as long as they had a lot of what they consider pink or at least in the red range of the spectrum. I put a FTF icon on their computer desktop so now, they can come on FTF when they want to to look at and enjoy the flies! How about that! They haven't joind, but I don't doubt that before long they will be here admiring all of the beauties we enjoy every day.

Elizabeth wants a pink rod and reel, so I'm in the market for a seven year-old size flyrod and pink flyreel, plus when she's old enough to control a paddle, maybe a couple of years from now, she's going to get a pink kayak. For Christmas, she's getting a small 22 rifle with a pink stock. Its a tiny rascal, but it'll darned sure do the job.

So, these are my plans, and I'm stickin' to 'em!

Ray

LOL!

Well mine aren't that advanced yet, but at 20 month's old, my two girls have been visiting Daddy in his fly tying room since they could walk, playing with feathers, rooting through boxes of furs and feathers, they love to play with my full fly boxes and study the colours.

I always get their approval when I tie up a selection of flies and I get alot of oohs and ahh's and other incoherent dialogue, so maybe some early exposure will help. I've had them on the river, Margaree and Cheticamp, this summer they'll get a chance to visit the South and West river's here in Antigonish. Come spring I'm ordering a couple 100 rainbow trout for my big trout pond, by June/July they should be good and ready at 2.5 years old to catch their first trout with Dad and Mom. Not too early is it?? LOL!!

This spring they'll spend their 2nd birthday with Dad and mom at the Dieppe Fly Fishing Forum, while Daddy ties flies and presents at the show, hopefully they won't be screaming Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, when I get up on the stage to give my presentation! LOL! Then again, that would be kinda cool! LOL!

Great thread Ray. Hope to see more responses.

I think the youngest members fiddling around with classic wets and salmon flies are me, J.Z. and Flytyerguy. We are around 14-15 I think. It's great that people are passing the art of fly tying on to thier children and others. It will keep the art going for many years to come.

Hey Flykid,

I remember tying flies when I was your age, that was only about 17 years ago or so, but still, when I was your age, man, I had Fly Tyer magazine and a couple old catalogs with fly patterns, Dan Bailey's, WW Doak, and that was about it. You guys are so lucky to have the internet as a tool, it's just amazing what it has done for the exchange of information.

Keep up the good work!!

I thought I was one of the younger ones on the forum. I am roughly twice the age of these young kids. Thankfully there are a lot of you old farts that still make me feel young. :eek:

I thought I was one of the younger ones on the forum. I am roughly twice the age of these young kids. Thankfully there are a lot of you old farts that still make me feel young. :eek:

Ol' farts my :butt: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono:

We are EXPERIENCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hyst:

hehe, old farts, but without you oldfarts, many of us wouldn't know left from right :) you guys are great!

hehe, old farts, but without you oldfarts, many of us wouldn't know left from right

Well said Luke. :headbang: :headbang:

Like Mr. McManus said

Let us next consider the proper technique for starting an old man. When you are older, you can start an old man simply by loading him or, in the more common expression, “getting him loaded.” While you're still a kid, however, you will have to use empty old men, who are a good deal harder to start. The best technique for starting an empty old man is called “priming.” You say something like this to your O.M.: “Mr. Jenkins, I'll bet fishing is sure a lot better nowadays than when you were a kid.” That bit of priming should not only get him started but keep him going for a couple of hours.

Royce........... :hyst: :D :lol: :rolleyes: :unsure: :headbang: :) ;) B) .......in that order. mark..... :thumbup:

Course, there's always "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!" :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: me

ray,

check out this site.. www.charbloom.com

char is a great lady who sells brightly colored vests, and assecories and ahe carries children stuff stylized etc... and most of her profits go to charity...forget which one

and elkhorn makes pink fly rods my wife owns a 8'6" 5 wt....don't know if they make other sizes

ted

I started fiddling with some classic tying ideas around the age of 13-14 I think, and have now turned 22. It wasn's before last year I got a little serious about it, and spent some hard earned cash (roughly $4-5000 during autumn 2006) to get hold of good winging-material and other useful stuff. :D It's an expensive hobby, but I really feel rewarded for every well executed classic that leaves my vise! :rolleyes:

- Andreas, Norway

Ray, i know that lady Ted is tellin' you about...........she is VERY cool and has some REAL cool stuff. She has a booth at the Jan. Somerset show every year. mark