Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
davpot

Hen Hackle vs Hen Saddle>

<_< Ive been for some time now trying to find small useable dense hackle I can RELIABLY use for body joints and butts, etc. I have problems with my hen saddle, which seems to roll when I wrap it on the body!

Is there a different HEN product I need? (saddle vs hackle perhaps?) Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Dave P. :blink:

i find hen saddles have a much finer stem and wind effortlessly...i to have found that hackles sometimes twist could be fro individual chickens

defeo style is a great alterantive in stead of winding

defeo popularized a simple method which i know as the defeo method which was probably used earier by joe blow etc..

anyway ..

instead of chooseing the hackle with the corerct fiber legnth, fiber thickness etc...then winding it on..

he took the feather for the throat, longer fibered ...softer stuff like hen, turkey flat, etc...evened the tips then pulled or cut off a bunch from one or both of the sides...he then put it in place under the wing area with 1-2 sorta tight wraps then used his thumb nail to spread it around the 180 degrees of the bottom part of the shank then trimmed off the butt ends

much longer fibered hackles which were usually thrown away were now utilized

all the fibers are held by the thread...stronger construction

and there is much less bulk on the top of the shank at the wings tye in point......almost none

and about as fast as the winding method...another way to do something...

works great with hollow bucktail and softer hairs too...bill peabody used this idea when he wanted a fuller body on the bottom of his flat wings without bulk...

Ted thanks for that. :headbang:

I went back and looked at a bunch of Defeo's in FF and I can see a lot of throats tied that way. What about his mixed throats (jay and red hackle) ... did he mix them before hand or apply them separately?

It would be interesting to try that for body joints as it should allow you to be as dense (nothing personal) as you wanted without building up bulk.

Dave P give it a go and let us see it. :P

Sign in to follow this