Fly Tying
Graham

Sierra trout and bugs

I got back late last night from spending four days fly fishing the Kern River in the souther Sierra mountains.

I had a great time, took over 800 photos and struggle to pick a few favorites to post on the internet.

I guess I'll start with the bugs..

The Kern River has an amazing variety of stoneflies, from microscopic goldens to massive Salmonflies. I collected a few dozen flies in vials of bug-balm, to preserve them for future reference. I took quite a few photos on stream using a 60mm macro lens. I wans't brave enough to put the gigantic hellgramite on my finger, but I did keep it and hope to someday tye a realistic replica.

I wont bore you with lots of text. I started fishing a semi-realistic stonefly, was catching fish, but my buddy Dean (FlyJunkie on the forum) was hooking fish left and right using a hot pink Czech nymph. Luckily he had enough to share...

The weather was sunny everyday, highs in the mid 60's and lows at night just below freezing. Life was good...

I also spent some time with a couple of lady fisher friends, Ariel and Karen,

IPB Image

Dean having fun

IPB Image

I have so many bug photos it's hard to choose which ones to post

IPB Image

This little guy scurried away fast enough to avoid joining my collection...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

There was also a variety of wildlife including deer, hawks, herons and even a rather brave coyote...

IPB Image

I had a great time and look forward to returning soon. Tonight this area is predicted to have the first big snow storm of the season. I guess my timing was good. The Kern River is about 2 1/2 hours drive north of Los Angeles, located at the very southern tip of the Sierra.

I can't wait to go back!!!

Graham

Sounds like a great trip Graham...Great photos too..I hope to see more from the trip......

Looks like fantastic waters to fish Graham. :)

The bugs as you called them turned out great. Can see why youd have a hard time picking some favorites.

J

Thank you Andrew, John and Josh. My legs are so sore from carrying my camera belt-bags up and down hills and boulders. I carried my camera, 60mm macro, 17-55, 70-200 and 300mm lenses and used them all. The light in the middle of the day was harsh and during the typically best hours of light, we were in the shade of the canyon walls. Made the photography challenging at times. Next time I'll bring my macro flash brackets with me.

Graham

Now there is somebody with a photographic eye. It's not about megapixels, resolution, or expensive equipment...its the eye of the photographer. Very well done Graham! I especially like the use of light in the head shots and the DOF of the flyfisherman pic. Great!

Alan

Looks like that was a fun trip. I think my fishing days are on hold for now, we are having huge rain up here. I'll see if I can't send a little down to you Graham. Those are some great looking pictures of the bugs and your friends as well. Love the close up of the trout.

Ashby

Thank you Guidofisherman, you put a big proud smile on my face.

Hey Ashby, thank you, it really was a fun trip, and we got some rain last night, not as much as expected, but every drop helps.

Graham

Thanks Russ. I did use the 60mm, but it's real had to keep shadows off the bugs when photographing. Next trip I'll use the 105. I hold the camera in my right hand and shot bugs on my left hand. With enough light the shutter speed was fast enough to keep the images sharp, well, most of them.

Graham

Thanks Justin, We should go and fish the Kern, can be done in a one day trip, especially this time of year when mid day is not blisteringly hot, is instead the best time of day for fishing.

Here's a few more pix

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

We also fished lake Isabella one morning, located betweeen the uper and lower Kern River, with guide Guy Jeans. It was very rare to see the lake glassed over, was nice conditions to be outside, but made the fishing challenging. We did get a few bites. Metered lots of fish, including pigs, but the big boys didn't bite, this time...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

We also briefly fished the lower Kern on the drive home, for trout and smallies. But darkness set in quick, missed a few taps, no fish landed. The lower river is less than 2hr's drive from home.

IPB Image

I'm really looking forward to going back, soon...

IPB Image

Thanks Vito1 and Mike, it was so pretty there, kind of dry, but next spring the mountains will be bright green, but only for a few months. Now they're covered with snow. I can't wait for the stones to hatch next March!

Graham