Fly Tying
northern_outdoorsman

Breatheable Wader Question...

I had a pair of Orivs clearwater breathable.

They developed a leak in the crotch.

Sent them back expecting a repair or a new pair.

Instead I received a check for $157.00, $30.00 more than I spent on them. headbang.gif

I must admit I was disappointed I did not get my wadders back.

But I took the money and up graded to a pair of Cabelas guide series wadders.

Cabelas has one of the best return policy.

One thing I did learn is do not go cheap. Sure they all will hold back water, but for the long run. Its worth the extra money not to worry about the product.

I just got a pair of G3's from Cabelas and love them! I have not had to return them but if I should need to, I am not worried about any hassle. I went to the Cabelas so as to post a link and do not see the ones that I have....????? Will post the item and price when I find it at home...... I think the price was around $110. smile.gif

Heheheh Hunter333,

I have the same pair...just got the in February and I LOVE THEM. Comfortable, durable (so far) and I feel so sheik in them... Uh, anyways, I recommend Cabelas... nice and not as pricy for "Gortex" with basically the same technology!

My 2 cents...

'Nix

Some people out there say Gore Tex breaths better than other breathable materials and that is why waders made with their liners are priced higher. I personally don't believe it, I think you are just paying for the marketing expsense of Gore Inc. Their pattend on the technology ran out and other companies make a comparable product. In the past I have used Cabelas waders with their "Dry Plus" fabric and it works just the same and is alot less expensive. After I tore a hole in them (my fault) I bought a pair of the Orvis Pro Guide 2 and after the first 5 months of use/abuse, I have no complaints, in fact I love them. Just my 2 cents.

The question I would like to know is what is normal wear time. Each person is different.

Back in '79 when I bought my first Chest Waders (They didn't have breathable waders then) they was a pair of Red Ball which cost me $120. They lasted long enough for 1/2 use (first time out) they developed a leak, I took them back and got my money back. I went and got a pair of ProLine and only gave $39 for them and they lasted me for 10 years with very heavy use and I am talking going fishing with them over 200 times a year. Now I am lucky to be able to get out 50 times a year.

My point is, if I am going to spend the money for something good, then I am going to want it to last a very long time. There is no money tree growing near my house.

Greetings,

We have been having a great discussion about breathable waders within my local club, the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance. Lots of guys have shared lots of stories and experiances. The thing I need to share with you folks is a referance to a great article from Fly Fish America. It was a really good technical review of Breathable waders, including lab test results.

http://www.flyfishamerica.com/ArticlesRepo...aff/Waders.html

One of the main questions one has to ask is what does company XYZ mean when they say breathable waders. One companies idea of breathable can be quite different from another. Questions of durability and comfortable fit are also very important. One you might not think of is vulnerability to 'deet', the stuff that is in all the good bug spray that we use. See the article for more explaination of that one. I had actually heard the bug spray issue brought up by a few locals before I ever read about it in any article. (That's the great thing about a club, lots of experiance to learn from.) Consider also accessories such as a wading belt and gravel guards. Actually, both of these are more of necessities than accessories.

I don't get lots of chances to make significant purchases, so when I went shopping for breathable waders, I shopped around very carefully. George is the store manager at my local fly shop. He has proven himself to be a treasure chest of not only knowledge but also of common sense. He had another article that he had a printed copy of in the store. It said many of the same things, but it was focused more on the lower end products in breathable waders. And we did talk quite a bit about materials, especially Gore-Tex. I don't see it as marketing hype. Based on my own experiance, I would buy waders made of Gore-Tex over any other material available on the market today.

After several discussions and plenty of research, I went with the SIMMs light-weight breathable waders. I believe they were somewhere close to $200 early last spring. They came with suspenders and a wading belt. Yes, I have bought into the idea of spending good money now, rather than replacing less expensive products more often. I've had one really great season with them. They are still in excellant condition. I could not be happier.

As I re-read what I've written here, I see some strong words. I won't change them. Yes, this is one man's opinion. YMMV (Your milage may vary).

More later,

Ken S.