Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Midget mouse

VERY COOL tye. :headbang: :headbang: Wish you could tye with us at the Clearwater Junction in June...... Any chance of that? mark..... ;)

wicked

Sorry W., I'm sure the tout know that mice that size are pretty much naked. I'd replace the deerhair with pink latex. Or floss.

Great tying, by the way. Bet you do a tight Irresistible!

I've never spun Deer hair. I picked this cool mouse up at a fly shop. Thought it was sweet enough to put in the pattern data base. I posted it as fly shop bought in the pattern .

I am going to give them a try.

Brent

Word!

so, i'm checking out this post and I'm scrolling down, and my cute innocent 3.5 year old daughter is looking with me. she says "go back down." I scroll down and she sees Wickedcarpenters Bart picture and she says "he showed his booty!"

thanks Wicked! <_<

it was kinda funny though!

LoL! My 4 year old boy thinks that Bart is the coolest thing. He makes sure his 4 other siblings come check it out every time i make a post. Now if it farted He'd play it over and over until it broke :lol:

Mouse? Mice?

Remember that there are also voles and shrews out there.

Voles are "a small rodent resembling a mouse but with a stouter body; a shorter, hairy tail; and smaller ears and eyes" - i.e. meadow mice.

Shrews "are small, superficially mouse-like mammals of the family Soricidae. Although their external appearance is generally that of a long-nosed mouse, the shrews are not rodents and not closely related".

"Northern Short-tailed Shrews are found in nearly all terrestrial habitats. However, their populations are most dense in damp brushy woodlands, bushy bogs and marshes, and weedy and bushy borders of fields." http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...brevicauda.html

The Southern Short-tailed Shrews "are strangely unshrewlike in that they consume relatively large quantities of vegetable matter (nuts, berries, and so forth). Analyses of more than 400 stomachs from East Texas revealed the following items (expressed in percentages of occurrence): insects 77.6; annelids, 41.8; vegetable matter, 17.1; centipedes, 7.4; arachnids, 6.1; mollusks (mostly snails), 5.4; vertebrates (mice and salamanders), 5.2; crustacea (mostly sowbugs), 3.7; undetermined matter, 2.4. There is considerable evidence that Blarina stores snails for winter use." http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/blarcaro.htm

Bogs, marshes, salamanders, mollusk, and sowbugs - with habits like those, I would be willing to bet that most the the smaller mammals seen by fish in the continental US are probably one of the species of short-tailed or other shrews.

Bowfin47

You know, a version tied in flourescent pink deer might be dynamite. As far as color goes, look at some old traditional flies. There are a lot of repetitive color combinations, with many variations of orange being a highly regarded.

we got them damn Moles or Voles or whatever they are............some say one of 'em is a cross with a mouse and the other one...........hell :dunno: all i know is they tear up the ground..........all over the dang place in the spring.........but at least they eat the damn Japanese beatle larva. jeeze........what's a fella to do? :hyst: life on the river :D mark..... :P

Yo, wickedcarpenter:

Please tell us the name and contact info for the fly shop where you got that midget mouse, and who ties it if you know that. I've just begun learning to use deer hair, and am a long way from tying anything so small and intricate. I was in Patagonia last month, and was thrilled by the way big brown trout went for that thing. I had only one, and it was bitten off. I'm certain that in larger sizes, with a weedguard, it will do as well on Florida largemouth.