Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dripster

help somethings eating my flies/materials

I have not been able to tie for a while and I started going through my inventory and noticed that some sort of critter/bug has been eating my flies and feathers. I am thinking maybe moth balls, freezing my materials or fumigating my area???? When I look through my materials I am finding what looks like casing which are white in color and what also looks like almost like a gritty dirt type substance. I could use some suggestions on this one.

Thanks

Dan

Hey D,

There are a number of bugs but the worst is moth larva they will eat through most flies and materials. Moth balls work good but if you know exactly where they are you can freeze them. I have had problems with moths in the past and they ruined many of my flies and materials. I used moth balls and when I thought they were gone I repackaged all my materials in zip locks.

kt :)

there are a few nasty little insects which will eat feathers and fur. Household clothes moths are one, although not as common as dermestid beetles. Both with the moths and the beetles, the larvae do the damage.

"Mothballs" made with Paradichlorobenzene, and "No-Pest Strips" made with DiChlorvos are the most lethal control agents for these creatures. Both will kill adults, larvae, and eggs. You need to seal the materials in something like a big rubbermaid tote along with the WMDs. Leave it for at least a week, preferably a month, and the vast majority of the creatures will be dead.

You can freeze the materials too. Freezing for at least a week at a temperature near zero will kill most of the adults and larvae, but not the eggs. After thawing at some point, you will have a new hatch of pests. Freezing three times on a two-week cycle will kill most of them. If you live someplace like Tok Alaska, it's not a big deal. If you have to put the stuff in an actual freezer, it can be a big PIA.

My opinion is it is easier to lay waste to them with chemical weapons than to play at climate-change.

If you go with mothballs or moth crystals, get the ones made from Paradichlorobenzene, not the ones made from Naphthalene. Naphthalene will also not kill the eggs, or all of the larvae and adults. It will do a good job of repelling them, but not killing them.

Be careful to not breathe the concentrated vapors (like when you open up a sealed rubbermaid tub) of any of these chemicals.

Good Day,

Very good information given so far!

Seeing that you live just North of me... you should be able to put the materials outside to freeze pretty soon! Haha...

with the freeze thaw cycle - I would also zap the materials in the microwave once thawed. Try 3 45 to sixty second "cookings". The reason to split the time is to not damage the materials but kill the bugs and or eggs.

Furthermore, If you can bear to do it - throw out any materails effected if possible. FI you can't bring yourself to do this the actions mentioned by other should help greatly.

Lastly - don't worry about using the mothballs. They will not effect the materials negatively or put off the fish you are seeking. I have been using moth balls for nearly twenty years and have nto had any problem with the materials or numbers of fish caught.

Steelie

I have not been able to tie for a while and I started going through my inventory and noticed that some sort of critter/bug has been eating my flies and feathers. I am thinking maybe moth balls, freezing my materials or fumigating my area???? When I look through my materials I am finding what looks like casing which are white in color and what also looks like almost like a gritty dirt type substance. I could use some suggestions on this one.

Thanks

Dan

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-online.d...__/bugs___.html

Thanks everyone for the very helpful tips in dealing with this issue. What a pain in the rear.

Lesson learned. I really like the microwaving thing. I kind of makes me feel like I am getting revenge on those pesky critters.

Dan